Sore bum...no not in that way

blueslim03
blueslim03 Posts: 28
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Evening all, went out my cube peloton tis morning, first time ever rode a road bike in 'anger' done a 45 mile loop without stopping thing is my arse was in absolute agony from 25miles onwards! I was wearing padded shorts but it killed on my 'bum bone' if you know what i mean?!?! Will this get better as i get used to it or is a new saddle in order?

Cheers for reading.

Comments

• You will get used to it, but could be worth experimenting with different seats if it continues
    exercise.png
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,622
    it'll get better, give it a month or two

it has a "RFR Natural Shape" saddle, never heard of it before, if you are still suffering after 2-3 months then might be worh getting a more comfy saddle

it takes a while to get used to road saddles, but a sore bum is nothing to the thigh-chafing you'd get with a fat saddle
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sungod wrote:
    it'll get better, give it a month or two

it has a "RFR Natural Shape" saddle, never heard of it before, if you are still suffering after 2-3 months then might be worh getting a more comfy saddle

it takes a while to get used to road saddles, but a sore bum is nothing to the thigh-chafing you'd get with a fat saddle

Oh I am getting thigh chafing, is that too fat a saddle? I thought it was maybe too fat a thigh?
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Get some chamois cream - this will eliminate chafing
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    And make sure you're not wearing anything under those padded shorts.
  • Anonymous

Excuse my ignorance but the likes of Assos cream, does it get applied to the skin, shorts or both? And is it a good choice of cream? Sorry for hijack
  • Nope not wearing anything under the shorts, hope it gets better was near enough standing for the last couple of miles!
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323

Excuse my ignorance but the likes of Assos cream, does it get applied to the skin, shorts or both? And is it a good choice of cream? Sorry for hijack

Assos cream is very good. I tend to apply it the shorts/insert, but be prepared for a sharp intake of breath whne you put them on :lol:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Anonymous

Nope, put it on some scones with jam. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    blueslim03 wrote:
    Evening all, went out my cube peloton tis morning, first time ever rode a road bike in 'anger' done a 45 mile loop without stopping thing is my ars* was in absolute agony from 25miles onwards! I was wearing padded shorts but it killed on my 'bum bone' if you know what i mean?!?! Will this get better as i get used to it or is a new saddle in order?

Cheers for reading.

Welcome to road riding, pain, pain, pain. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    blueslim03 wrote:
    Evening all, went out my cube peloton tis morning, first time ever rode a road bike in 'anger' done a 45 mile loop without stopping thing is my ars* was in absolute agony from 25miles onwards! I was wearing padded shorts but it killed on my 'bum bone' if you know what i mean?!?! Will this get better as i get used to it or is a new saddle in order?

Cheers for reading.

Welcome to road riding, pain, pain, pain. :wink:
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Yep, had the same problem with my Cube Aerial.
    The kind folk on here said yes it was normal for your sit bones to hurt at first and yes it did get better. I didn't get on with the standard seat that was on my Cube, I think the Peleton has the same one. I was pointed in the direction of a Charge Spoon and I have to say it is a lot more comfy and 9 months later I'm still using it
    Apparently the perfect seat is one of th Holy Grail's of cycling :wink:

I also use Assos chamois cream and I smear it on my bits then any leftover on my fingers gest wipes on the insert before I put my bibs on
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Flasheart wrote:
    Yep, had the same problem with my Cube Aerial.
    The kind folk on here said yes it was normal for your sit bones to hurt at first and yes it did get better. I didn't get on with the standard seat that was on my Cube, I think the peloton has the same one. I was pointed in the direction of a Charge Spoon and I have to say it is a lot more comfy and 9 months later I'm still using it
    Apparently the perfect seat is one of th Holy Grail's of cycling :wink:

I also use Assos chamois cream and I smear it on my bits then any leftover on my fingers gest wipes on the insert before I put my bibs on

David!!!!!?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • I think previous posters are right in saying that it will get less sore as you get used to it. Road bikes can seem like a strange set up at first and it takes a little while for your body to adapt.

Saddle shape/size may be an issue, but I'd also think about a saddle not in terms of it being a 'seat'. You don't put all your weight onto it, a lot of your weight is distributed along your arms as well. I imagine most people will need to play about a bit with their first road bike to get it comfortable - saddle height, bar height, and even stem length could make a difference.

Also, it's worth just standing up on the pedals every now and again to relieve the pressure, and even shifting your position forwards and backwards on the saddle will help.
    IN THE SADDLE
    "Locals are watching from pavement cafés. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me." Tim Krabbé, The Rider
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    It just takes time.

I think most of us can remember a time when riding really hurts your arse, and I doubt any of us can remember the moment that stopped or what made it stop.

You've just got to ride through it, and by some magic your arse will adjust.