Where can you cycle..?

jcwads
jcwads Posts: 6
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hi All

I had an interesting one today, which I dont know the answer too. There is a large common near where I live so I went for a ride, mainly on a Bridleway.

Then, a lady on a Horse quickly made her way over to me, and said that I could not cycle on Bridleways as it is not allowed, and that I would get kicked off the land if seen. I had seen no signs saying no cycling anywhere, and had made sure I checked this too.

Can anyone tell me if I can

a) Cycle Legally on Bridleways?

and

b) Cycle Legally on Footpaths?

Thanks

Comments

• Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    1968 Countryside Act gave cyclists a right to cycle on bridleways. Footpaths (assuming you mean urban ones), generally assume never unless it's really dangerous to ride on the road.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    So she was trying to tell you that she, on a horse weighing slightly more being slightly bigger and slighlty more dangerous than a bike is allowed to ride on a bridleway but cyclists arnt?

I woulda laughed in her face.

Aside from the common sense issue pedestrians/cyclists/horse riders are allowed down bridleways.
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    It depends if it is an actual bridleway or a permissive route for horse riding.

If it's a proper bridleway then you are indeed allowed to ride it, but you have to give way to horses and pedestrians.
  • jcwads
    jcwads Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info.

At least I know for next time! Cheers
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    You can also legally ride bikes on BOAT's - but be careful of crazy 4x4 drivers!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    Bloody horsy folks always thinking they know best!! :) neighhhh!
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • covelove wrote:

Oi I take offence to that :lol:..i know i know nothing and I ride horses so nerr nerrrr :lol:
    Caz xx
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    if it wasnt her land, id have told her to go do one.
    +1
  • covelove wrote:

Oi I take offence to that :lol:..i know i know nothing and I ride horses so nerr nerrrr :lol:
    Caz xx
    Ahhhh - so thats why your legs are that shape
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    It's civil law, if asked to leave by land owner or agent of leave politely after they have proved this point, as quickly, safely and causing the minimum of damage 8) Worst that can happen is a court order (which would cost landowner lots) as bicycles don't cause damage :roll:
    Anyone else this side of a uniform can be ignored.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Just pretend you no understand, cannot speak english and you are deaf and keep pedalling, works every time. :D :? (just smile) and keep going.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • if it wasnt her land, id have told her to go do one.

+2 :lol:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Would it have mattered if it was the landowner? It's a public right of way, you're legally allowed to be there. Can the land owner tell you not to be on it? If he/she could then wouldn't they just put signs up at the start of the footpath or bridleway saying 'No Entry/Private Property', and then they could claim that everyone was trespassing.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."