Knocked off

spursn17
spursn17 Posts: 284
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I got knocked off on my way home last night (right hooked by a minicab) on Fenchurch st. It's been reported to the police and I have 2 witnesses.

What should I do next apart from get the bike checked?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Go to the hospital to get yourself checked. And bear in mind that certain injuries may take time to develop. Think this happened to Spen666, so don't rush into any settlement for personal injuries and/or bike damage.

If you and/or your bike are damaged, you'll need to make a civil claim against the driver. Take legal advice before contacting the driver. Russell Jones & Walker and Alyson France & Co are two firms which immediately spring to mind, but there are others.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • spursn17
    Been to the hospital, not too bad, just soft tissue damage around the shoulder. 2 days off work should sort it. It's damage to the bike I'm bothered about.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Watch the shoulder...I was offed 13 months ago - shoulder issues didn't show for a couple of weeks, and now I have a SIS (indexed) shoulder - clunk click every trip.

Legals are still ongoing, so is trying to get the shoulder fixed.
  • Write down your account of what happened asap. It might take ages before you have to retell it and things get fuzzy very quickly.

I was knocked off almost 2 years ago and it is only now getting to the point where I am going to be getting any insurance money.

Incidentally, never claimed before - what sort of payouts have people had from driver's insurance companies? Am I going to be able to retire or should I be happy with 50p & a pickled egg?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    cjcp wrote:
    Go to the hospital to get yourself checked. And bear in mind that certain injuries may take time to develop. Think this happened to Spen666, so don't rush into any settlement for personal injuries and/or bike damage.

If you and/or your bike are damaged, you'll need to make a civil claim against the driver. Take legal advice before contacting the driver. Russell Jones & Walker and Alyson France & Co are two firms which immediately spring to mind, but there are others.

I concur with the above.

Yes, I was knocked of my bike in early November and initially thought I had a bit of whiplash and nothing else. Bike only needed a new wheel

However, I developed over time pain in my leg and turns out I had managed to tear my cartlidge in knee and damage to knee cap.

Don't be in too much of a rush to settle any claim. Get proper medical treatment and use a personal injury solicitor. So bot do it yourself re compo claim
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    Write down your account of what happened asap. It might take ages before you have to retell it and things get fuzzy very quickly.

I was knocked off almost 2 years ago and it is only now getting to the point where I am going to be getting any insurance money.

Incidentally, never claimed before - what sort of payouts have people had from driver's insurance companies? Am I going to be able to retire or should I be happy with 50p & a pickled egg?

Compensation depends on your injuries- as you have not given any details, it is impossible for anyone on here to advise you.
    I assume you have lawyers acting on your behalf. If so, they are best placed people to adbise you on likely value of any claim

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    Write down your account of what happened asap. It might take ages before you have to retell it and things get fuzzy very quickly.

Compensation depends on your injuries- as you have not given any details, it is impossible for anyone on here to advise you.
    I assume you have lawyers acting on your behalf. If so, they are best placed people to adbise you on likely value of any claim

I am aware that the compo is directly related to the injuries, I have heard their is a tariff used to calculate the total - was hoping someone might have seen it or otherwise had knowledge of it.

I broke my scaphoid, was in plaster for 12 weeks & off work for 2 months. I also broke or otherwise knackered my Coccyx but other than not being able to lie on my back or sit down for a few weeks there is not much in the way of treatment for a broken arse!
  • spursn17
    Will they pay up for the damage to my bike before the injuries part, or will it all get settled at the same time? Can't see it being cheap as it's a carbon frame.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Assuming the driver admit's liability, you'll get an interim payment for the repairs.

The thrid party on mine admitted liability, so got the bike repair money within about 6 weeks, then about 6 months later got some of the physio paid for, and I'm still outstanding £1k from physio which finished last July. Depends upon the insurer, and how much they drag their feet.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    +1 to all of above - defo go to hospital and make a claim, if not you could end up really kicking yourself. I was knocked off in Oct - broken clavicle and am pursuing legal action, still awaiting a decision from the Police as to what action they will take.
  • spen666
    fossyant wrote:
    Assuming the driver admit's liability, you'll get an interim payment for the repairs.
    or to be more accurate, you MAY be able to obtain an interim payment.

Depends on insurance company and how aggressive your lawyers are and also how long it is likely to be until the who claim is settled

The thrid party on mine admitted liability, so got the bike repair money within about 6 weeks, then about 6 months later got some of the physio paid for, and I'm still outstanding £1k from physio which finished last July. Depends upon the insurer, and how much they drag their feet.

Twittering @spen_666
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I had a crash which I reported here, in Nov 09. The claim hasn't even really started yet. I have spoken to RJ&W and they are dealing with it, I have sent them all the receipts for costs incurred so far but they still haven't even sent any notice of claim to the guy's insurance company. Last I heard, the solicitor dealing with the case said there was a "delay in her dictation".... She said that it would probably take a year to get any money. I'm just worried it's taking so long to even send off some kind of claim. It's been over 8 weeks since the crash.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • spursn17 wrote:
    I got knocked off on my way home last night (right hooked by a minicab) on Fenchurch st. It's been reported to the police and I have 2 witnesses.

What should I do next apart from get the bike checked?

First of all, so sorry to hear this.

Go to the doctor's first. I had a fall more than 2 years ago and only NOW, my right hand is showing signs of injury. And my right shoulder is screwed up also.

Did the driver leave the scene? If so, that's a hit and run!

Hope you recover soon.
  • spursn17
    The driver stopped, 2 independent witnesses, and helmet cam vid to back it all up.

Can't see the driver (or his insurance company) getting away with it.
  • bd12mz
    bd12mz Posts: 79
    I feel your pain having been in a similar position in Nov.
    in my case the driver was uninsured and fled the scene at some speed.

my solicitor is having to deal with MIB (not Men in Black - Motor Insurance Bureau :p) and is trying to get the cost of the bike repair paid to me as an interim payment.