hope vision 1 or joystick maxx?

2»

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    supersonic wrote:
    Some great 250 lumen torches around for less than 20 quid.

As a Hope vision 1 owner who would like to night ride (MTB), recommend any of these torches that can be helmet mounted to assist with some trail action?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to buy kits to helmet mount, or DIY, but is rarely a problem. Some people just use velcro.

Deal Extreme, if you don't mind waiting, have this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28544

Multi mode, AA batteries (use good ones) and you'll have a bright light for peanuts. Take spares.

If you really want to see what they can do you could try this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567

But would drown the Hope out! Is what I use, amazing power for the price (though needs 18650 cells)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    supersonic wrote:
    Deal Extreme, if you don't mind waiting

I wanted instant gratification :twisted:
    Misguided Idealist
  • supersonic
    Lol, you can often get from UK on ebay, but pay a bit more.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    supersonic wrote:
    Lol, you can often get from UK on ebay, but pay a bit more.

Thanks, went fro the Q5 & decided to pay a little more for less leg work... looking forward to comparing with the Hope & strapping it to my helmet for some trail action...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0398002539
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 397897479&
  • Got loaded up with 2 x Bressner Photon Torpedos. 900 lumens each.

They deliver some really serious visibility for the 10 miles or so of my ride that is through pitch black country lanes.

I can see the coast of France from the top of Bowden Hill ...

:):):)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • supersonic
    Those torpedoes look exactly the same as the DX torches!
  • I actually have both, and I like them both.

The Exposure Joystick is nice as it has integrated batteries which is less fiddly, and a very smooth beam pattern. The helmet and handlebar clamps are very neat and easy to use.

The Hope Vision 1 seems slightly brighter in the centre but hasn't got such a smooth beam pattern.

One problem I have with the hope is when the batteries run out the light goes from full beam to off, which can be a problem. The joystick will always drop to low power, which although isn't that bright for seeing in complete darkness, will always get you home. I've never managed to full run out the joystick!

I did have to return the Exposure under its two year warranty for repair (boo as it broke), and they fixed it and returned it promptly (yay as they were quick and helpful).

If I had to choose one I'd buy the Exposure. Especially as the current version has the red eye as an optional extra which mine doesn't support.

Adam
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Quick update now that I've had a chance to use the Vision 1.

It's bright !

The QR that's permanently attached to the light takes a *little* longer to use than a standard QR where the clamp stays on the bike, but has the advantage that there's no clamp there when you aren't using the bike (aesthetically more pleasing), and that you don't have to fit multiple clamps to all your bikes (financially and operationally more pleasing)

I've only been for a shortish ride so can't really comment on the real life run time, though a test in the house showed it ran to 2h15 ish on Turbo or whatever the max power is called with 2700 mAh rechargeable batteries. On the road, I found setting 2 (of 4) to be plenty, and it's nice to know there's plenty more in reserve if you want it, and at that level the batteries should be good for most people's commute.

In summary then - it might be more expensive than a mega-powered incendiary device from Hong Kong, but it's right here, right now and I like its neatness, quality of construction, and even the QR design.
    Oh, and it's red :)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Just in case anyone is interested I've posted a brand new 900 lumen Magicshine (boxed) in the classifieds section for 80 quid.

It can be collected from me, but if anyone fancies it and mentions that your from the best section of the forum (i.e. commuting!) I will post it recorded delivery free of charge for £75.