A 'classics' rider

jimycooper
jimycooper Posts: 740
edited January 2010 in Pro race
After a few years of being totaly gripped by cobbled classic races, mainly roubaix+flanders, im left wondering what makes a boonen or a cancellara good at cobbled classics.

because in theory a relitivly flat race like roubaix should be a 'sprinters' race, so if its the cobbles that seperate the field/the race is won on, what makes a good cobbles rider?

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Its really down to having "Optimus Prime" on your socks. Some will probably post about early season fitness, handling skills, tactical nous, doggedness and "having luck, the luck to avoid bad luck" as Kelly says. But mainly its socks.....

calpe-tom.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Not having Nobby Stiles helps
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • i'm guessing it's being a strong rider with a decent sprint too. The field tends to break up in one day races due to the tough nature of the course. There's a series of mini sprints throughout the race to get the leaders to the front for each berg or cobbled section. Wears them down eventually. Just my thoughts though.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Riding cobbles hard takes a special technique and phenomenal strength - the likes of Boonen has a distinct advantage riding these road regularly since his amateur days. It's like a prolonged interval session, sprinting for position as the start of each sector and then having to give it full-gas on the sector too. Boonen last year demonstrated that it's down to good course knowledge as he made no mistakes whilst the others behind floundered. A big bonus for Quick Step is having LeFevre as DS as he has easily the best record fo race victories. Finally, for a Flandrian rider, win a Spring classic and your career is made - more important than the other race in July.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Being big helps on the cobbles in the same way being small helps climbing.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Finally, for a Flandrian rider, win a Spring classic and your career is made - more important than the other race in July.

True to a cretain degree but look at Devolder he has won two and yet still he finds his DS still unhappy with his general performances and his place within the team isnt secure.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • teagar
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Finally, for a Flandrian rider, win a Spring classic and your career is made - more important than the other race in July.

True to a cretain degree but look at Devolder he has won two and yet still he finds his DS still unhappy with his general performances and his place within the team isnt secure.

I think that's to do with the idea that Stjin's stats show that he should be able to perform at a high level in the grand tours as well.

He only seems to turn up once a year.

At least with Boonen you know you have a favourite in all the cobbled races, not just de ronde, he's good value (though last year wasn't too good) in the Tour by and large, and he's there or there abouts in and around the worlds.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Devolder is what some might call a "character". He's certainly not a team player. To Quick-Step a Boonen win in Flanders is worth much more since Tommeke is more chatty and loved by the nation, whereas Devolder is merely respected.

As for the typical classics rider, it's all about being able to manage the tactics, pace and effort during the final hour of a seven hour race. A sprinter needs to be delivered to the finsh line, they are not going to attack or chase, such prolonged efforts are not for them.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I love Devolder to death, but if he hadn't been on Tommeke's team, he wouldn't have either of his Rondes

The second best rider on Quickstep will probably win it again this year too, although with Ballan back we can hope for a little less wheelsucking.

Strava is not Zen.
  • teagar
    calvjones wrote:
    I love Devolder to death, but if he hadn't been on Tommeke's team, he wouldn't have either of his Rondes

The second best rider on Quickstep will probably win it again this year too, although with Ballan back we can hope for a little less wheelsucking.

It's going to be epic this year, if the big four (Pozzato, Boonen, Cancellara, Ballan) are all in top form.

:D Already excited at the prospect.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    teagar wrote:

It's going to be epic this year, if the big four (Pozzato, Boonen, Cancellara, Ballan) are all in top form.

Phil and Paul will be in a right pickle....

"and it's big Tomm, and er.. big Fabian... they're alll big"
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    edhornby wrote:
    teagar wrote:

Phil and Paul will be in a right pickle....

"and it's big Tomm, and er.. big Fabian... they're alll big"

Paul will just put them all in the 'red zone'