tough decision. . .

denty85
denty85 Posts: 48
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
i'm going to put a deposit on a 'Giant' bike tomorrow. The problem is, i can't decide which one.

I really like the look of the Giant Escape M1 which is the mountain bike version so i went to have a look at one today and the guy showed me the R1 (the road version with the bigger road wheels) and i liked that one too!

so now i don't know which to get. my commute will be mainly road so the bigger wheels would suit that but i like the idea of going on light trails appeals as well. The smaller, but wider wheels of the M1 would help here!

so anyway, my question is, with both versions essentialy being the same bike, are the wheels interchangeable? ie. could i get the R1 and have a spare set of 26" wheels with dirt tyres to change to if i need to or is the gearing different between the two bikes.

Thanks for your help.

(ps, if you have a picture of one of these bikes, please post. it might help me make my mind up)

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Marketing at its best!

I have/had the Giant Escape M2. It is the road going version of the giant xtc as the Escape range uses that frame. I has a rigid fork and slick tyres for the road. Yes you can go on light trails just fine.

The 'R' varient is differnt in that it has slightly bigger wheels making the bike potentially/marginally faster in a straight line.

The wheels on both bikes are about as wide as each other and therefore will handle light trails equally. The difference in size means that the:

26inch wheels will make the bike more agile
    700c wheels faster

I don't know if you swap 700c wheels with 26inch ones on either frame. It's not sensible, anyway as the bike is fitted with disc breaks and it'll be a costly venture.

Your best bet is to simply try both buy the one that you prefer and by tyres that can handle both light trails and the road, which is about nearly every tyre fir those wheels given the width.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • as far as I can tell it's just the wheels that are different.

what you have is a MTB frame with disk brakes and roadie gearing. ie high (for a MTB).

you can get MTB tires in 700c form I'd take the 700c version, with that if you want more speed you can add a faster tires or fit a knobbly tire for some trail work.

it's just a rigid MTB in many ways.
  • i was in the same situation as you

i went for a cyclo cross bike