Riding my local route, SS V hardtail

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hi Guys,

I have been smitten with my new Genesis io rigid SS since I got it a few months ago and have ridden it ever since. It took a while to get used to it, but the more I rode it, the easier it got. Anyway, I took my hardtail out today for the first time in ages and the first time since fitting a suspension fork to it, to ride my local route. Well, the ride was smoother and easier on the wrists, but the rest of the ride I found to be much harder going than on the SS, and was much more knackered at the end. My hardtail is 27 lbs and my SS is 23lbs, so maybe it the weight difference. I also found that riding with suspension was making things much harder, like I was having to peddle much harder to get the same as I do with the rigid SS.

Has anyone else found this, or is it just me :?:

Cheers,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sometimes. Though drop the hardtail to 23lbs and see what happens!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    maybe its Christmas excess :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It feels to me that riding in soft conditions- snow, mud- is a little easier with a rigid fork. How I'm rationalising that is that it feels like the first bit of every pedal stroke is pushing the tyre forwards through crap, and since the fork's on a backwards travel path pushing it back pushes it up, so instead of just pushing through power's wasted compressing the fork. But, that could be cobblers ;)

OTOH, I'll not be taking my rigid with me when I go back to fort william! Horses for courses.
    Uncompromising extremist