Off to Dubai (Maybe)

Quiche
Quiche Posts: 6
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hello all,

Just been offered a lucrative job in the Emirates. Only scary thing is I won't know anyone so reckon joining MTB club could be a good way forward. Anyone got any experiences (have seen hot-cogs website)? Also any other dubai tips greatly appreciated.
I was excited about being able to buy that Foxy R I've lusted after but no stockists I can find. Rubbish!!!

Thanks
K

Comments

• Pretty hard mountain biking in the desert?
  • Quiche
    Quiche Posts: 6
    its not all sand dunes....
  • Yep, it pretty much is...
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • Maybe they will build you a MTB course if you ask nice! Last time i stayed there with work all i saw was sand dunes, baking sun and a hotel with its own man made lagoon in the middle of the desert!
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    It'll be great if you like riding in building sites! Have you been to Dubai before? The locals are friendly enough, and everyone speaks English. Just watch out for the Far-Eastern women... Oh, and Russians.
  • kip71
    kip71 Posts: 1
    been six times , would love to live and work over there , try motocross over the
    dunes enjoy if u go , visit the royal meridien hotel 8)
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    mtb 'ing in dubai ? camel racing is the nearest equivolent :D
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I almost worked out there for a couple months last year, there is at least one mountain bike club out there. The one I looked at was called hot cog they seemed to do regular rides and from their descriptions it looked pretty interesting. I never followed it up because the project got canned but it maybe worth dropping them an email.

Webby : http://web.mac.com/lavadesign1/hot-cog-mtb/Welcome.html

edit. I shold learn to read furthe rinto your post :) I'd give them a try all the same!
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    interesting time to be heading out there.
  • AlexS
    AlexS Posts: 18
    I've worked out there a lot, but personally would not have wanted to move out permanently.

The mountains up in Ras Al Khaimah and heading over to Oman are your best bet at decent biking terrain. They are quite rugged with little vegetation, so maybe best for winter riding or early mornings when the weather is hotter. The scenery is actually quite spectacular and certainly not all sand dunes. The middle east has many surprises such as ski resorts in the middle of countries you would associate with desert, so I'm sure you will find people to ride with.

In my opinion Oman is far far nicer than the Emirates. They still have their own culture, the sea is not polluted and their developments are better planned, slower paced and not built with slave labour.
  • msafi
    msafi Posts: 1
    Here is some non biker related info for you: http://dubaiemploymenttips.com/