juicy 3s

morleyman200
morleyman200 Posts: 513
edited January 2010 in MTB general
hi all, recently my brakes have been making really loud squeaks, i know water can have an effect, but this has been happening over the last 6 days or so, and only once it has been wet, - 6 days ago, will there still be water in them which are making them squeak, the bike was brand new on new years eve, and i haven't even taken it off road, and there is no way oil has had a chance to get on the rotor or pads.

any ideas tom

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    it sounds like oil contamination. are you sure no oil has got on the rotor or disc, perhaps when you were cleaning it?
    if it is contaminated, all you need to do is take out the pads (quite easy actually on juicy 's) and burn them with a blowtorch, or cook them at highest temp in the oven, to burn off the oil. other wise, check the bolts attaching the brake to the forks/frame are tight and nothing has got inbetween the dic and pad, like a wet leaf.
    Is it the front or rear brake?
  • JamesBrckmn
    PS: try cleaning the discs with a piece of clean kitchen paper or similar too.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Take the pads out and rub them lightly on a bit of wet and dry about 240 grit, spin the disc betwen another clean piece of wet and dry. Wipe pads and disc with some Isopropyl alcohol or electrical contact cleaner and refit.
  • ^^^^ Wot he said :P
  • JamesBrckmn
    ^^^^ Wot I said :P
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    ^^^^whatever they said :P
  • What they said - especially the part about cleaning the rotors properly.
    I also swear by aerosol based brake cleaner after every ride/wash, prevent contamination

If all else fails... buy new pads.. :¬P
  • its the back one, yea i have cleaned them, its not oil as they still have good stopping power, it just squeaks a little when brake applied *softly* but still stops, yea i have some brake cleaner (fenwicks it think) and it works a treat, is the serious about sticking the pads in the oven? yea this happened before i went to clean them, no way is it oil.

thanks
    tom
  • its the back one, yea i have cleaned them, its not oil as they still have good stopping power, it just squeaks a little when brake applied *softly* but still stops, yea i have some brake cleaner (fenwicks it think) and it works a treat, is the serious about sticking the pads in the oven? yea this happened before i went to clean them, no way is it oil.

thanks
    tom
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    If you buy new pads, I can recommend www.discobrakes.com.

Ridiculously cheap and the (Avid) pads I bought worked fine and didn't wear down prematurely. That way they really do become disposable and you don't have to worry about the British winter ruining them.

(I'm not affiliated in any way - promise)
  • JamesBrckmn
    Yes i'm serious about sticking pads in the oven (not the whole brake though) but i haven't tried that cos i just set them on fire with a mini blowtorch my mum has for cooking :P :D
    You have to wait for a flame - that's the oil setting alight. Don't blame me if your house burns down though- safer to put them on a bonfire or blotorch them :D
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Silly question, are pads for 3's the same F+R?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    Silly question, are pads for 3's the same F+R?

Yup!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    i just set them on fire with a mini blowtorch my mum has for cooking :P :D

Mmmm........ Créme Brulée!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    In the past I have put my rotors in the dishwasher - doesn't work
    Held the pads over the gas hob - works a treat
    Muc off disc brake cleaner - works a treat too

I'm using superstar pads for my juicly 3's too, without any problems.
  • Before you shell out for new pads: take the caliper off the frame, check the mating surfaces are all clean, flat and parallel (all four, two on the frame and two on the caliper) and then reinstall making sure the bolts are at the correct torque as well as cleaning your pads/discs with one of the methods above. If all that fails, new pads time.
    If it does turn out to be oil contamination (even though your adamant it isn't), a good tip is to cover your discs/calipers whenever you're lubing anything on or near your bike, especially with aerosol lubes (GT85, WD40, Bikespray etc etc), with something like a couple of carrier bags or shower caps.
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • ill give the BBQ a go :P burn abit of wood on it :P

i know its not contamination as i always take the pads out, and but a block in the caliper, and put the caliper in a carrier bag :)

well thanks for the help, will let you know how i gets on

tom