Well P*@$t off

camerauk
camerauk Posts: 1,000
edited January 2010 in MTB general
went out for a ride today at Haldon got about 1 mile into the Ridge trail and heard a very loud ssssssssshhh stopped and rear tyre was flat as pancake removed rear wheel and there was a 1/4 inch cut in tube fixed that and checked tyre and there was a 1/4 inch split in the centre of the tyre :evil: :evil: and its my new Panaracer XC Pro only done about 15 miles on it :evil: :evil: fitted a patch inside the tyre to get me back(well carried on round the final 5 miles) you can see the split when its pumped up
Now questions
am I just very unlucky or could this be a weak tyre as i am sure i did not hit anything that would cause it and the track is mainly gravel but there are stones etc in places

Could I contact the manufactures and hope they replace?

Is there anyway I could repair it as it looks very weak and i think would easily puncture does anyone do a thick repair patch for the inside of tyres?

I was just getting to really like these tyres as well

cheers
Specialized Camber Expert
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    bad luck pal.
    i use panaracers , no probs yet to report.
    worth contacting supplier , good chance of getting a replacement after such short use.
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    no harm in having a polite moan, go get himhim :wink:
  • camerauk
    Cheers do you think I should contact wiggle who i purchased it from or from tyre maker? Am I right in thinking it's panasonic!!
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    contact the seller, not the manufacturer
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • mkf
    where you bought it from and its toshiba
  • camerauk
    Ah ok cheers Will drop wiggle a email
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    I have just dropped Wiggle a email and will let you know the outcome

Cheers
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • mkf
    good luck
  • camerauk
    cheers I know what they will say but worth a try
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Ive been riding with a local club for years and have seen no end of Panaracer tyres split for no apparent reason. Usualy on the sidewall mind. I think they are best avoided. Sorry Panaracer!
  • mkf wrote:
    where you bought it from and its toshiba

That's a joke right?
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    i was amazed when i got my xc pro tyres and it said made by panasonic on the
    packaging.
    how the hell have they gone from making batteries and camcorders to mtb tyres ?
    strange departure from the goods they're known for making.
    do they do any other biking parts ?
    odd
    :D
  • camerauk
    I got a reply from Wiggle this morning asking for a picture of the split in the tyre so I email a picture back 15 mins later another email from Wiggle saying they are sending me another tyre FREE this morning :D
    Great service Wiggle I am a very happy man :D:D
    they could have only got my original email(sent sat evening) this morning and got it all sorted by 9:30am top marks

now does anyone know if I can repair the old tyre see picture
    3ce772ff.jpg
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    camerauk wrote:
    now does anyone know if I can repair the old tyre see picture

just put the new one on, and cut the old one into strips for emergency repairs.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I do not know of a way of repairing that tire.

I must admit reading your OP, I thought "he's run over a shard of glass; bad luck, buy another tire" but looking at that picture it does indeed seem to have split of its own accord. It's tough to tell from here, but the threads almost look rotten. Even if I thought I could fix it I probably wouldn't .... where is it going to split next?

Good on wiggle for sorting you out, the gain in rep they win from stuff like this is worth so much more than the cost of one tyre ... certain other internet sellers could learn a lesson from that....
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    "i was amazed when i got my xc pro tyres and it said made by panasonic on the
    packaging.
    how the hell have they gone from making batteries and camcorders to mtb tyres ?
    strange departure from the goods they're known for making."

Biff you'd be surprised, I used to work for part of hitachi..........which supplied finance for sofas etc.

The company my wife works for makes cans, plastic drinks containers, cartons, food containers and......er......satilites.
  • camerauk
    I do not know of a way of repairing that tire.
    Even if I thought I could fix it I probably wouldn't .... where is it going to split next?

mmmmm maybe you have point there
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • It's junk - bin it. Given the general smoothness of the trail at haldon it's hard to see how this could be anything other than a manufacturing problem.
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • camerauk
    well new free tyre arrived today great service from Wiiggle again and a packet of Haribo :D
    well pleased just hope this one last longer that the other
    maybe a quick repair on the old one and sell on ebay :twisted: :twisted:
    only joking in the bin it goes I think
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Good service from Wiggle there. I've used Panaracer XC Fire Pro's for about 4 years now, not have any problems at all. I've also got a set of their XC Mud Pro's as well, again, no problem.

I might suggest that the split tyre hadn't been stored in 'ideal' conditions, hence the expedient response from Wiggle.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    always good to hear of great service
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I have had so many problems with Fire XC's.

First pair - the tyre seemed to perish and crack between the red stripe and the black rubber. 2nd pair...blew one sidewall. checked the other and could see daylight through it where the logo is pressed into the carcass.

Had a panny mud tyre as well. lasted 30 mins. Stripped the tread....was running on the internal canvas by the end of the ride.

Therefore, I will not be buying them again.