LBS job in cardiff

lloydrulez15
lloydrulez15 Posts: 119
edited January 2010 in MTB general
hi i am a 16 year old MTBer who is looking to learn more about bikes and earn a bit of dosh at the same time. so if anyone owns a Shop in cardiff a job would be much appreciated.
thanks lloyd :)

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Have you been round to the shops?

I'm pretty sure they have better things to do than spend the day on forums.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Yeah, Saturday does tend to be the busiest day :wink:

If I was you, print off a few details about yourself and your MTB and hand them in to each bike shop manager. Let him see your face. Explain to him what tech bits you do on your bike.

Ask for a part-time job, even cleaning the grease of the mechanics coffee mugs. Once he knows you're serious, that's when you get good jobs.

Best of Luck.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • ive tried a few but i have only been able to speak to the people who work there rather than a manager and owner so they have been unhelpful.
    and thanks
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    edited January 2010
    I would have loved a Saturday job in a LBS when I was a kid

Perhaps writting to them instead and offer to job trial? Basically do a morning/day for nowt with a view to take you on if they like you?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Try Tredz, Sunset, Don Skene, Muddy Bum Bikes, Reg Braddick...

You'll have a better chance in person or with a letter than on here.
  • i have tried sunset and tredz and they were rubbish so i think muddy bum next as it is about 5 minutes cycle away
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    If they say the manager or owner isn't in, ask them when it would be a good time for you to be able to chat to the manager.
  • I got offered a Full time job in Tredz about 4 months ago!
    Unfortunately I had already found a job :(

I emailed them as they had advertised on their website.
  • R+P+K
    R+P+K Posts: 49
    IMO, it's not what you know it's who you know.

If you can't get a job straight away, try and befriend some of the people working in the shops. Then when they come to need someone extra, you have a better chance of being considered. I think most small shops would rather fill positions from a pool of people they already know than go through the hassle of advertising.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Couldn't agree more with you R+P+K. I got my current job through knowing my mate who already worked there. He put in a good word for me and the manager took the chance.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    i have tried sunset and tredz and they were rubbish so i think muddy bum next as it is about 5 minutes cycle away

Well that's ruined half your options right away.....no one is going to offer you work if you diss people you have never even worked for like that!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • well its not my fault i went there and they were very unhelpful
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    tbh i only got my job in the LBS cos i know the guy that runs it pretty well. i said to him i needed a job so he offered to let me do some saturdays and then when im finished college he might take me on full time. just keep goin in and looking round and ask every so often.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    When I was 15 I wanted to do the same...

I went into the shop, got speaking to the guy, asked if there were any jobs, there weren't but made the point that I was cheap, the guy said how cheap.. To which I replied a pound an hour... He thought about it and I started work for a tenner a day on a saturday with the lure of trade price bits...

If you don't ask, you don't get, get out there try, it's certainly not going to be a money spinner though... Valuable experience it will be, you'll be 'fixing' a lot of holes in rubber things I'd imagine.... along with 'building' bikes, which will consist of putting pedels on, turning and tighening stems and learning the fine art of of setting up rim brakes.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    CV (of sorts, at 16, I appreciate you won't have 'work experience' as such) and a covering letter.. always helps, and shows enthusiasm and a professional attitude.

But as above, sometimes its who you know too.. I regulary go into a local shop of mine, and even though I was in full time work (Maybe being in sales helped!), I was offered a Sunday job just by chatting to the guys in there.. I wasn't even looking!! :lol: (I declined too, as my weekends are for riding..)

Good luck though mate, but yea, get a CV & covering letter written up (look online for help if you need it), pop in there and ask.. if the manager isnt available, ask a staff member to pass it onto them when they get the chance, and also it never hurts to ask to be considered for any future roles that may come up. (Remember to stick your documents in a sealed envelope though, as its personal information)

Also, check the websites, jobs usually get advertised online these days, and also the bikebiz wesbite is useful, as it shows jobs that you may miss..

Hope that helps :)