Tour Down Under Stage 5 *spoilers* (live on Sky Sports1)

stagehopper
stagehopper Posts: 1,593
edited January 2010 in Pro race
thought I'd start the thread as they're showing the stage live tonight. Coverage just started,

Comments

• Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Vichot is attacking constantly! :shock:
  • stagehopper
    very fast start - incredible aerial shot of the whole peloton strung out and those at the back struggling to hang on.
  • Bhima
    Yeah, basically, for anyone who can't watch it, there's a breakaway of 7 which got about 2 minutes but HTC started riding on the front at about 40km and at about 70km it's steady at 1:40.

CD'EP have a train behind HTC on the front and i've just seen a few Sky riders gathering towards the front behind them.

Steegmans (4th GC) could have been in the break but bailed out, thinking it was doomed to fail, as there were a LOT of attacks early on, constantly geting reeled in.
  • Bhima
    KOM Leader attacked on the first climb and got 2nd place points on the first ascent.

Peloton intact, Greipel unaffected.

Breakaway caught on the descent.

Solo breakaway from Kvist.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    1. LL Sanchez
    2. Luke Roberts
    3. Valverde
    4. Evans
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Bhima
    Oh

my

God

I'm not going to reveal what happened, but it's one of the most epic finishes i've seen, ever!
  • stagehopper
    Brilliant last 25km of the race.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    last 25kms as good as anything you could want to see considering the 'mountain' was only 400 in altitude

brilliant stuff
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    last 25kms as good as anything you could want to see considering the 'mountain' was only 400 in altitude

brilliant stuff

From the reports I'm going to have to watch the repeats.

2nd time in 6 months Cadel has created huge excitement in a race.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • We are all awaiting links, with baited breath.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Sky Sports Highlights. It's only 2 minutes though.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    The highlights package on the STDU youtube feed don't seem to convey the excitement of the stage:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tourdownunder#p/a/u/0/cZjmonz0Yc4
  • SpaceJunk
    I've just watched some footage that didn't make it to air.
    Greipel himself was doing MASSIVE turns on the front of the peloton to try and get the gap down.

I reckon just one more rider needed to get across the climb with the Evans group. Might not have looked it on Tv, but the had quite a headwind to battle with on the last 5 kms.

They also hit 100 km/h on the descent. That is seriously quick - I can get up to 75 before I chicken out.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    An excellent stage and a terrific ride from Peter Sagan. Definitely looks a star of the future. Anyone know much about him (beyond being a 19 year old Slovakian)?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • SpaceJunk
    RichN95 wrote:
    An excellent stage and a terrific ride from Peter Sagan. Definitely looks a star of the future. Anyone know much about him (beyond being a 19 year old Slovakian)?

http://www.cyclingcoverage.com/teamsandriders/rider.php?id=2391
  • SpaceJunk
    Sagan = 2 top 5 finishes on easily the 2 hardest stages.

4th in 40 + degrees and uphill finish in stage 3
    5th today

Looks like a real good prospect.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    That was an utter blinder. An absolutely stunning final 25k. Agree with Spacejunk above - if someone else from BMC had been able to go with Cadel, they would have stayed away and might have been able to keep up with Sanchez in the last burst for the line.

Chances of Cadel actually doing something in this year's Tour de France if BMC get in and he carries on like this?
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Exciting final 20 km so. As others say, very impressed by Sagan, but also by Thomas Rohregger on the first time up the climb.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Jose Luis Sanchez? Who he Phil?

Strava is not Zen.
  • liamg
    liamg Posts: 193
    RichN95 wrote:

He won the junior world xc championships two years ago and won a couple of world cups that year too. He raced for the Cannondale factory team last year and came something like 4th in U23 at the worlds in Canberra. Looks like he's just as good, or even better, on the road.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Robbie Hunter's not a happy bunny:

What a day went really well.was in first group over climb both times.lot of sprinters came back cause they got pushed up by team mates! about 9 hours ago from UberTwitter

---

Absolutely pisses me off big time.turn my self inside out to stay up there & other dicks get pushed up!then it changes the fing results! about 9 hours ago from UberTwitter
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Robbie Hunter's not a happy bunny:

What a day went really well.was in first group over climb both times.lot of sprinters came back cause they got pushed up by team mates! about 9 hours ago from UberTwitter

---

Absolutely pisses me off big time.turn my self inside out to stay up there & other dicks get pushed up!then it changes the fing results! about 9 hours ago from UberTwitter

a sprinter complaining the other sprinters team mates helped them out, Ive never heard of such a thing Everyone knows that a sprinter does his thing without the aid of team mates. EVER.
  • What's with Agent Orange Armstrong?
    Amgen trying to corner the "Tan as you Dope" market?
    Obviously, still in the testing phase.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    There's some High Definition footage on youtube now of the end of stage 5:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOPze72wpmI
    Awesome effort from Luke Roberts - what was in his milkshake!
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    If that is HD I don't want it.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • That's why I watch cycling, absolutely incredible.

Also, I'm not his biggest fan but Cadel looks pretty good in his rainbow bands. Reminds me of LeMond
  • Bhima
    All the organisers are going on about how it was the best they've ever seen and so there are unconfirmed rumours that they'll have more hills in next year's race because of it. I've got nothing against sprint finishes every day, but balancing it out with a few climbs is far more interesting, gives a bit of variation and means that the GC is not dominated by all-out sprinters. It just seems so obvious to me - add a climb or two and it adds drama. Can't believe it's taken them 12 years to work it out! :roll:
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Wallunga Hill - Kate Moss is has got bigger thingieeez than this mole hill - god the way the chuckle brothers were going on about it Ligget & "Team Sherwin" you would think it was the Mortirolo. - Dunno what race is the worst This or the Tour of Poland - who needs sleeping tablets :D
  • Bhima wrote:
    All the organisers are going on about how it was the best they've ever seen and so there are unconfirmed rumours that they'll have more hills in next year's race because of it. I've got nothing against sprint finishes every day, but balancing it out with a few climbs is far more interesting, gives a bit of variation and means that the GC is not dominated by all-out sprinters. It just seems so obvious to me - add a climb or two and it adds drama. Can't believe it's taken them 12 years to work it out! :roll:

The problem is that the teams dont want to many really hard stages its too early in the season. We get a pretty decent start list becasue Tutur understands this and design's the course accordingly. Though this year there were two stages that i think we very good watching and im guessing we might get another one next year. I think its a really good race and yeah there are some boring flat sprint stages but name a race that doesnt. give it another five years or so and my guess is it will have built to quite a hard race.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • SpaceJunk
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Wallunga Hill - Kate Moss is has got bigger thingieeez than this mole hill - god the way the chuckle brothers were going on about it Ligget & "Team Sherwin" you would think it was the Mortirolo. - Dunno what race is the worst This or the Tour of Poland - who needs sleeping tablets :D

So you obviously watched the stage then.