Is Ventoux tougher than some alpine climbs?

inaperfectworld
inaperfectworld Posts: 219
edited January 2010 in Tour & expedition
Mt Ventoux is spokem of with awe and profound respect, but is it worse than some Alpine climbs?
I plan to go this spring (anywhere in Provence can be too hot in July / August), but I have done some alpine cols and length/gradient seems similar: the col de la Madeleine is closely comparable at 8% over 12 miles.
Is it just reputation or is it actually harder when other factors such as heat, winds etc are taken into account?

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Yes.

Just ask the professionals.

Apart from the stats, which are pretty impressive by themselves, it is the psychological damage that you notice. The bit through the trees after Bedoin seems like it should be gentle, but it is absolutely relentless and steep. After the Chalet, you get no sense of how steep it actually is, nor of the distance to the weather station. You keep thinking your are nearly there on a relatively flat road, when neither of those things is true. Add the heat (I did it in August at midday) and the wind (happily there wasn't any that day) and you have yourself one of the most challenging climbs in France.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Yes. Harder than most alpine climbs.

The Madeleine is in my opinion quite a bit easier. The big difference with Ventoux is the lack of rest going through the forest section.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    but its not that hard...... unless youve been racing for 200km or so beforehand... just get a compact and 27/28 and its fine. Tiring but fine...
  • Agree with all the above. Mont Ventoux pretty much stands alone and the top is completely bald of vegetation. Whatever the weather, you are going to be exposed to it. When I rode Ventoux, the wind at the summit was hideous. I remember reading that this is where the fastest wind speeds in France have been recorded. Despite being August, I ended up getting such cold hands I could barely change the tube when I punctured.

As Weeve says, though, it's not that hard. Use a compact chainset, pace yourself with caution at the bottom and it should be a great experience.