right size surly LHT

cnb
cnb Posts: 35
edited January 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone can help. I was thinking about the surly lht .and what would be the correct size bike , I'm 5'7" and would like just a rough guide. any comments welcomed.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Well very roughly, maybe 50 or 52?

The key dimension (apart from the standover height) is the top tube length. If you have an existing bike, and it's comfortable, check what the top tube length is and then look at the geometry for the LT on the Surly website:

http://surlybikes.com/frames/long_haul_trucker_frame/

Bear in mind that if you ride with flat bars on your current bike then you might want to go a bit shorter if you're moving to drop bars.
  • cnb
    Thanks for the msg. I noticed that jenson bikes USA had some in the green colour that i would have liked , but only in the 54cm, I thought that may be the wrong size so cheers! I'll just have to give it a miss
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    cnb wrote:
    Thanks for the msg. I noticed that jenson bikes USA had some in the green colour that i would have liked , but only in the 54cm, I thought that may be the wrong size so cheers! I'll just have to give it a miss

I could be wrong - I did say very roughly. Someone may come along and say I'm being too conservative. But unfortunately it's the average sizes that sell out first.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    54 will be too big for sure. the mrs is 5'8" and rides a 52
  • cnb
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll just have to look at other options. Pos a thorn or ridgeback