Chainstay protector wanted with a few requisites

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I want a low-profile, preferably white chainstay protector. I have a lizard skin one that has never been used. Although it's too bulky and kills my build somewhat.

I cannot use tape of any kind as the Marin has box section chainstays that are hydroformed and nothing can adhere to the contours of the frame.

I don't want tape wrapped around it.

I want something tarty (but not garish) that will suit my build better.

Any ideas out there?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You say tape won't stick, but Bike Tape (which is 'copter tape) if applied to a completely clean bike, with the use of a hairdryer, will adhere to tight curves. I have some on my Planet-X carbon, it sticks and stays put and is invisible.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    +1 for copter tape AKA BikeTape
    I use it on all my bikes and it has done a good job of protecting from stone chips. And it sticks to curved surfaces too.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    whats wrong with an old inner tube wrapped round the chainstay? Cheap as chips, and very good at the job of being a chainstay protector........or is it not bling enough :lol:
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • http://www.biketart.com/collections/fra ... /framewrap

That. I used it on my hydroformed merlin chain stays and it was spot on. Not white though.
  • nonnac85 wrote:
    +1 for copter tape AKA BikeTape
    I use it on all my bikes and it has done a good job of protecting from stone chips. And it sticks to curved surfaces too.

I've got helitape on most of my frame (downtube/TT/seatube etc) and TBH I didn't think it would be string enough for constant chain slap.

Want it to be naked with helitape or a proper 'bling' chainstay protector 8)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it is the real stuff it is more than strong enough.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    How about using white road bike bar tape? If you get a cheaper, more plasticy one then it should clean up nicely too...