more winter tyres

moorjohn
moorjohn Posts: 89
edited January 2010 in Road general
anybody tempted to try these after the snow? There were some lovely mornings wasted where I live because I was scared to cycle in on packed snow/ice.

Seems like Nokian and Nashbar do them:

http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/tires.htm

anybody tried them?

anybody habitually cycle on snow/ice (esp with road bike)?

is it worth the money?

how long do they last?

are they legal in uk?

[I've driven for miles on sheet ice with car winter tyres in Sweden - the thought of the same thing on a bike is goood. Maybe for those frosty mornings as well. The ones where you feel your back wheel wandering about when you brake.]

I'm getting a bit old for broken wrists!

John

Comments

• lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Haven't tried them, but I did make my own studded tyres using some old MTB tyres I had lying around with really thick chunky blocks, punching through each block with a bradawl and then putting a little pop-rivet in.

Now they worked pretty well, so I imagine that the 'proper' ones work even better.

As for riding on ice, this bike was an old steel hardtail raleigh MTB, converted to fixed gear with a disc brake on the front (rigid forks, I think they were magura).
  • Continental and Schwalbe also make studded tyres.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • Continental Gatorskins or Michelin ProRace3's.
  • Thanks folks.

Nobody does em for 27".

I've wondered about converting to 700c before. Not sure if I want to use shiny new wheels in all that salt and slush though...

...maybe I need to get that mountain bike...