Lightweight HT's are they good for me

bobcheese
bobcheese Posts: 343
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all, I am looking at a couple of hardtail bike (I have posted about this in another thread) but this question is more about the suitability of the lighterweight HT's for my style of riding.

One of the bike's i am looking at is a boardman team HT. The majority of my riding takes place at trail centres around the north west (llandegla, whinlatter & gisburn). I do a little local xc and also abit of road just to keep fit. What I would like to know is, are the Boardmans up to the task of the black runs at these (and other) trail centres as they seem to be advertised as 'lightweight XC' racing bikes. I have tried one out and I like the feel of it but am just abit worried that maybe a heavyer hardtail is needed for what can be encountered at some of these trail centres?

Guess i'm scared of spending my hard earned to find out it doesn't suit.

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    If you did a black DH run then no its not really suitable but I don't see a problem with it on XC type trails. After all XC races are sometimes run on black graded courses.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Remember that race bikes are likely to be less tough and far more sharp in terms of handling than "normal" trail bikes. Chances are that a cheap one won't last as well as the same price trail hardtail as well.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is a light bike, but I wouldn't say a balls out race bike. More a trail bike with good light kit.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Still maybe a wee bit on the XC side. Which is no bad thing, to hear some folks talk you'd think you need a full susser or a 140mm hardtail to do the average UK black route but that's cobblers frankly, a suitable skilled rider could ride my rigid xc bike down fort william dh. I couldn't obviously, I'd be killed but that's beside the point.

But, is it the most suitable, is the better question. Personally I'd want something a bit slacker and tougher, but that's partly personal taste. Even a short travel XC bike is still seriously capable these days.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    What supersonic said. It's more or less the same as my hardtail and although it's maybe not the best choice for fast rough descents, just take it a bit slower and it'll be fine. The fact it has risers is probably the best indication it's not an out and out race bike.

For example, this is a similar price but is more race oriented: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bik ... 893/39100/
  • Atz wrote:
    What supersonic said. It's more or less the same as my hardtail and although it's maybe not the best choice for fast rough descents, just take it a bit slower and it'll be fine. The fact it has risers is probably the best indication it's not an out and out race bike.

For example, this is a similar price but is more race oriented: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bik ... 893/39100/

That Giant has an incredibly crap brakeset though.