First impressions: On-One's Carbon 456 hardtail

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2010 in MTB general

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    nice. I'm kind-a glad it's a burlier style as I had been thinking "damn if they'd been earlier with that I could have saved a bunch of cash I spent on my Ibis frame

500 notes is a bargain in the current carbon market, I'll be interested to see how it holds up (and interested to know which factory it was made in... the same one that Ibis' are?)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    I love my steel 456, and would be very tempted by a carbon one. Wonder what colour's they'll be pushing them in...
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Having been a big on-one fan for a number of years and have owned a few of there models (main ride Is a summer session at the moment) and a planet x carbon road bike, all I can say Is I am saving now looks good and I am sure It will ride well :D
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • No one else think its a bit bland and boring?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Well it is a pre-production model, I expect there will be an interesting paint job on the final product.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    looks interesting. be interesting to see the final product and how it fares.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    alfablue wrote:
    Well it is a pre-production model, I expect there will be an interesting paint job on the final product.

Hope not, naked carbon for the win...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    maybe they'll do naked, blue, pink and white like the road bikes.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Looks good and makes the Ibis Tranny look almost pointless at £1400 for the frame, but I'm waiting for the Carbon Whippet. If they can get the 456 like that to 1.6kg, then I'm really looking forward to an ultralight carbon frame that can run gears or singlespeed, especially one that I can afford.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    i like the look of that, it's a good price too, I think the front of the frame looks great, loving the shape there. knowing on-one it'll come in mental paint jobs but naked carbon is always good, if you've got carbon you want to see it, not cover it up
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I like the naked carbon look, don't mind If they put decals on It but I will definitely be wanting one that Is not painted.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Looks good and makes the Ibis Tranny look almost pointless at £1400 for the frame, but I'm waiting for the Carbon Whippet. If they can get the 456 like that to 1.6kg, then I'm really looking forward to an ultralight carbon frame that can run gears or singlespeed, especially one that I can afford.

While I didn't pay near 1400 GBP for mine ... the on-one certainly has the potential to make the Tranny look very expensive indeed :oops: It's still a little harsh to say pointless though (OI! you'll hurt its feelings! /pats bike on saddle to make it feel better....) the scandal doesn't render every other alu bike out there pointless, although it embarrasses many with its pricing / feature ratio.

It'll be very interesting to read the LT test on the tranny that BR have atm and compare to the eventual test on the whippet model from On-one. The tranny in nude is reputed to be <1400gr, my painted one is 1500 so if On-one meet their target of 1600 for the burly model then that is very good indeed for a bike to take a 6" fork and pass these new tests they're making everyone do.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Anonymous
    looks good an lets face it, it'll sell even if it rides rubbish cause its affordable carbon and everyone will be cutting around on one before the end of the year.

it needs an extra portion of suspension in my opinion.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    if you've got carbon you want to see it, not cover it up

No you don't it looks f**king awful, look at the join between the head tube section and the downtube / toptube, very grim. Most carbon fibre that you see normally is actually a cosmetic layer over the top of the structural CF.

The on-one in question seems to only have the structural CF showing, although I guess it is because it is a pre-production version, but it will be interesting to see whether they will go with a cosmetic CF layer or paint for the production models.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I love the look of that head tube. I might just hold off a bit before deciding on my next build 8)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Northwind
    eh wrote:
    No you don't it looks f**king awful, look at the join between the head tube section and the downtube / toptube, very grim.

I really like that myself, I'm not a big fan of the cosmetic top weaves used by so many places, it's only a short leap from that to carbon effect stickers :lol: I like the purely functional look, myself.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I wonder if they'll make it so that you can do a straight transplant of all the kit from your current 456 onto a carbon one. I'd almost certainly buy one if they did.
  • Northwind
    The bottom bearing would need a step-down and the seat-tube's bigger... But that's not hard to get round.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    don't like the shape of that down tube....reminds me of those Levis twisted jeans..... :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you like the geo of the 456, is going to be a useful way of dropping nearly 2lbs.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    If you like the geo of the 456, is going to be a useful way of dropping nearly 2lbs.

cant that be done with a ragley?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dunno, different company, different bikes, different geo.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Northwind wrote:
    The bottom bearing would need a step-down and the seat-tube's bigger... But that's not hard to get round.

And the tapered headset on there ... Although you probably could get adapters for that ?
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Unarce
    Unarce Posts: 16
    Very nice! Would still prefer the Ti 456, but I like that On-One is serving up a nice bike FU to overpriced carbon frame manufacturers. Definitely more realistic at £499.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    This is a sign from above that i need to build another bike :shock:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Northwind
    stevet1992 wrote:
    And the tapered headset on there ... Although you probably could get adapters for that ?

That's what I was talking about, as far as I'm aware the top one will take a regular top headset race but the bottom, you could use a step-down.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Will be interested to see how it does with the CEN tests. I don't think I've heard of a carbon bike undertaking those yet, could alleviate some doubts people have about CF.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm going to be getting one, combined chrimbo (last year) and birthday (last year) prezzie, with some money thrown in by me.

Direct swap over with my 456 parts, a few extra carbon bits, then make my 456 into a hack with tora's, v-brakes and a ss kit.

Will want some revelation team u-turn for the carbon one eventually though, if only they made a xx u-turn one.
  • already posted about this but I for one think this is gonna be big, R&D carbon frames for what is proposed to about 500quid from a well established brand. Its a real splash of reality quality bike at quality price. If the whippet version is anything like my Scandal I'm in for sure. Dont really give a flying f**k what it looks but I hope they play the whole thing down and go anti bliing/gloss and just concentrate on what I suspect is gonna be a lot of bike for a little money
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'