Tour Down Under Stage 4 *SPOILER*

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited January 2010 in Pro race
Very windy today. Armstrong and Vaitkus went for a break about 10km out from the finish but were caught at 3km to go. Sky all over the place; Hayman had to pull over for a new wheel in the last 5km. Provisional results from Adelaide Radio:

1. Greipel
2. McEwan
3. Graeme Brown
4. Steegmans
5. Cardosa

Greipel gains another 10 seconds bonus...
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    McEwen appears to have his mojo working again. Hope it doesn't all go to hell when he hits the European circuit.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    LangerDan wrote:
    McEwen appears to have his mojo working again. Hope it doesn't all go to hell when he hits the European circuit.

+10!

He might have only finished second, but it looked eeeeeasy... started too far back, but just wafted past all but one other rider.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • i hope McEwen can really show topform this year and test Cav. Big Cav fan but still want to see some proper competition in the sprints this year. would love to see Greipel V Cav.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Highlights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbUWuOnjt8A
    Final moments
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfYtQVK4wVw
    Check out the argy bargy in the last 200m in the second video with Graeme Brown of Rabobank and another rider (from 5.11). Brown has a strange habit of flicking his left elbow like he's doing the 'birdie song' dance in the last metres as well.
  • Art Vandelay
    Didn't realise Graeme Brown was so unpopular in Australia. Bit of a history of aggressive/unsportsmanlike sprinting and supplement accusations.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Check out the argy bargy in the last 200m in the second video with Graeme Brown of Rabobank and another rider (from 5.11). Brown has a strange habit of flicking his left elbow like he's doing the 'birdie song' dance in the last metres as well.

Who is the guy trying to push Brown off his line? I can't even make out what team it is. I know Brown has a reputation for sprinting erratically, but I can't see how he did anything wrong there.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:

Who is the guy trying to push Brown off his line? I can't even make out what team it is. I know Brown has a reputation for sprinting erratically, but I can't see how he did anything wrong there.

It's Hutarovich I reckon. As you look at the moments before, Hutarovich did have McEwen's wheel, Brown was in a little Rabo train on the side, and Brown pushed Hutarovich out. His reputation is well deserved...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    FJS wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

It's Hutarovich I reckon. As you look at the moments before, Hutarovich did have McEwen's wheel, Brown was in a little Rabo train on the side, and Brown pushed Hutarovich out. His reputation is well deserved...

Ah, Hutarovich, of course, how could I forget the Belorussian national champ!

Brown's rep probably is deserved, but that? Mountain out of a molehill I reckon. The way I see it :- Huta was on McEwen's wheel, but (@ 5'12") McEwen drifts slightly the right and Huta stays where he is, giving Brown the option of grabbing Robbie's wheel or staying with the other Rabo guy. McEwen's wheel was there for the taking, Brown took it.
  • Art Vandelay
    FJS I think you're right with Hutarovich. If you look at the vid at 5.08 you can see Brown starts to muscle in on the line and then is the first uses his hand to shove Hutarovich. He makes another large push with his hand before Hutarovich starts leaning more aggressively. There's some shocking stuff about Brown and his crit racing.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    Ah, Hutarovich, of course, how could I forget the Belorussian national champ!

Brown's rep probably is deserved, but that? Mountain out of a molehill I reckon.
    Oh yes, agree. This kind of stuff happens all the time. It's unfortunate for Brown the camera was right on them. And it's not like Hutarovich was denied a real chance for the win, seeing how he sprinted. Let's say that Brown didn't took this opportunity to proof those who say he has a reputation wrong :wink:
  • err loads of sprints have argy bargy. nothing to see here move along