Drivers seeing red?

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
So the insurance came through and I now have 2 sets of Cat-eye lights, stuck them on the commuter...

Took a look at how they look from the height of drivers in cars and they just look far too bright! My previous lights semed to be diffused by the lenses to make them very visible but not painful to look at, yet these just seem to pierce my retina :shock:

Am I likely to be angering the drivers around me with lights that are too bright? I am considering putting tissue paper inside to diffuse the light. :?

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Imagine it on a murky night when its slashing down - brighter is better
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Its illegal to dazzle others with your lights. If you find them too bright (i.e. dazzling) then I reckon you should point them down.
  • Kiblams
    prj45 wrote:
    Its illegal to dazzle others with your lights. If you find them too bright (i.e. dazzling) then I reckon you should point them down.

I would do that, but due to the fact that they have zero diffusion they are almost dull unless they are burning your retina...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Better to dazzle drivers a bit than to have them miss you. The maximum intensity is only present when the driver's eye line & light angle are aligned. I wouldn't worry about it. Better that that drivers (we're all drivers too don't forget) have to deal with short-term discomfort rather than piling into you at 40mph because the faint red glow turned out to be a bike light.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm driving at the moment and have been grateful for the brighter lights on those cycle commuters using them.

As above, it's only very briefly and you really know there is someone there when you see them
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    when it comes to rear lights on a bike there is no such thing as too bright.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Just look at the number of drivers that have their fog lights on with no fog! (It's even worse with no fog and light rain) That must be worse than a bike light that you should be able to pass fairly soon.

-Spider-
  • Kieran_Burns
    Which catetyes are they?

I have the LD1100 and LD610 on the rear of my tricross and am grateful for the light they produce
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    edited January 2010
    mrchrispy wrote:
    when it comes to rear lights on a bike there is no such thing as too bright.
    I was going to say the same. Bear in mind that a driver approaching from behind may have other things to distract them - rain, misted-up windscreen, traffic, oncoming headlights.

Example piccy

Also bear in mind that the speed of their vehicle means they need time to see you, testing it in your garage by standing a few feet from the back of the bike is nowhere near the same. To compare it get someone else to ride it in busy traffic (so surrounded by lots of other lights) while wearing dark clothing, and you drive a little way behind.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Kiblams
    It isn't the brightness that bothers me, it is the lack of diffusion, so they are realy only visible from one angle and when you can see them, they are blinding!

This morning I have put a single-ply tissue paper between the lense and the LEDS, now they are just as visible without blinding me and they can be seen from more angles :D

Kieran_Burns they are the Cateye HL130/TL130 and I have two on the front and 3 on the rear.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    You should see the Cateye TL LD610 Rear Light, now thats bright! Have one on my seatpost and it's not only brighter that the last incarnation, but double the battery life.

I also have a TL-LD130 on my bag.

And as far as lights go, I'm in the can't be too bright camp*.

I do however wear dark clothing, just can't stomach hi-viz
    :oops:
  • simon_e
    Kiblams wrote:
    they are realy only visible from one angle and when you can see them, they are blinding!
    A Cateye TL130 is blinding?

Gerraway with you, scamp. Are you looking at it from 6" away or something?

That light is the absolute minimum I'd use for urban night riding. TL600/610 is more like it for commuting, especially on faster roads.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    After being cut up yesterday and nearly swerved into the day before. I was thinking about putting a light on my helmet that is so bright when I aim it at the driver he'll think he has been stabbed with a lightsaber.

I moan about bright lights on bicycles when I'm cycling but behind the wheel, there is no such thing as a rear bike light being too bright. In fact they all need to be brighter.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    i've a high power led torch strapped to my helmet which is good for shining into cars. am also experimenting with a flashing blue blike light mounted at the end of my right hand handlebar (asda direct do them), not very birght but flashing blue lights do catch people's eyes.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    The use of blue flashing lights is reserved for the emergency services and it is ILLEGAL for you to use them. For some reason steady blue lights are legal. Yes they are eye catching thats why the emergency services use them.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    dinotte 140L rear here....as I may have mentioned on more than one occasion :-)
    it's the daddy or rear lights
    8)
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Simon, you might want to edit your post as you've put up a library agency picture - we wouldnt want to see the forum get into trouble or debt. :shock:
  • Depending on where you situated your lights, the dazzlingly clean surface may eventually become dirtier from stuff from the road and rain anyway - so the light may not be as bright as first thought. At least that's what i find - i mount my lights on the seatpost, so they tend to collect rubbish throw up from the rear tyre.

but yeah, brighter = safer.
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • Kiblams
    So the concensus is that an array of 3 (IMO painfully bright) rear lights won't make a driver want to run me down for blinding them?

Maybe I have over sensative eyes? :?
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    prj45 wrote:

If the Police can't deal with the egits who cant turn their front fog lights off when it's not foggy I think you'll be fine.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Kiblams wrote:
    So the concensus is that an array of 3 (IMO painfully bright) rear lights won't make a driver want to run me down for blinding them?

Maybe I have over sensative eyes? :?

Your lights ain't that bright sunshine, don't worry.

1w Mars 4.0, RSP Astrum (2x 1/2w LEDS) and a Mars 3.0 on the back of mine, and that's bright.

Looking directly at the Mars 4 or Astrum will have you with spots in your eyesight for a while....

Coupled with 2 Hope Vision 1's on the front (480 lumens max) aimed correctly.... oh and a Knog toad as a backup.

Don't worry..... view them from a distance and then think about it.
  • simon_e
    downfader wrote:
    Simon, you might want to edit your post as you've put up a library agency picture - we wouldnt want to see the forum get into trouble or debt. :shock:
    It's a publicly available watermarked image at Alamy.com. I wouldn't complain if it was one of mine from there. However, discretion is the better part and all that, I'll change it to a link.

Kiblams, try being behind a posh 4x4 with their multi-LED brake lights. Now that's what I call bright.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Presumably those of you who advocate dazzling people with bright lights don't mind when oncomming drivers leave their lights on main beam?
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    sounds like i should leave my blue light on steady; what with my lack of pedal reflectors I am asking for trouble......
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • CiB
    will3 wrote:
    Presumably those of you who advocate dazzling people with bright lights don't mind when oncomming drivers leave their lights on main beam?
    There's a huge difference between a set of full beam halogen headlights on an on-coming car, and the light generated by two small LED lights each powered by a pair of AAA batteries. Close up the bike lights are v bright esp when viewed straight on, but the light diminishes exponentially with distance, unlike the car headlights.
  • will3
    CiB wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Close up the bike lights are v bright esp when viewed straight on, but the light diminishes exponentially with distance, unlike the car headlights.

enlighten me (sorry), why should this be? Cars don't have lasers for headlights!
  • Kieran_Burns
    will3 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Close up the bike lights are v bright esp when viewed straight on, but the light diminishes exponentially with distance, unlike the car headlights.

enlighten me (sorry), why should this be? Cars don't have lasers for headlights!

enlighten us yerself :wink: I thought ALL waveforms dimished exponentially with distance :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • will3
    CiB wrote:
    will3 wrote:

enlighten us yerself :wink: I thought ALL waveforms dimished exponentially with distance :P

only if there's something to dissapate the energy, or if the "beam" is spreading with distance.
    For a laser the first will happen, the second less so since the beam has (or can have) extremely low divergence. But this isn't really my area, so don't take it as gospel!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    will3 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Yes they fecking do. In the figurative sense.

I was driving the other day and suddenly the inside of my car lit up. I checked the light in my car and that was off. I then checked myself to see if I was on fire, I wasn't. Then after switching my rear view mirror into the non-dazzle position I realised that the car (old car been modified) behind me had those horrible bright white-white-clear bulbs. Perhaps he was playing starwars I don't know, it was enough to swamp my car. "Red leader was down". I switched my lights off for a second (I know I shouldn't) to see if my lights made a difference to the ilumination ahead of me, they didn't.

This was London, Tooting, there is so much ambient light the sky at night has a hue of orange. I'll never understand why people in London insist on either having their beams on and their lights positioned in the most upright and dazzle position. (Let us leave SMIDSY alone for a second).

To counter the needless use of impossibly bright headlights in London. When I drive to Essex on the other hand there is many a stretch of road around Epping forest that has no lights the World is pitch black yet people only have their beams on when there is no cars approaching them or infront of them and when a car does appear either oncoming or they've caught up to the one infront they dip their lights and turn the beam off.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiB
    will3 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Easy. Stand in a dark lane and get your mate to drive towards you from ½ a mile away with the headlights on full beam. You'll be dazzled by their brilliance, esp when he gets closer.

Now get him to ride your bike towards you from the same distance and tell me that he dazzling effect is the same with a couple of 3v state-of-the-art torches. It won't be. For most of the eternity that it takes him to reach you, you'll observe nothing more than couple of bright points of light.

It's not a single factor, but a combination of power, distance, & size. 2 big 12v halogen headlights on full beam generate a sight more light than your two bike lights. Like it or not, that's what happens.