First 1/2 Marathon help

1mancity2
1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
edited January 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Hi guys need help with some sort of training plan,

Im aged 40 been MTB for over 12months and decided to have a crack at the CRC Marathon series this year, doing the Grassington 1/2 Mara on 3-4 July, but ive only ridden for pleasure and not for such a long distance. Can you guys give me an idea what I should be doing miles wise off road, currently doing around 15miles twice a week at night and also doing core exercises daily.

Cheers in advance guys.

Ali
Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    just to clarify, this isn't a running 1/2 marathon?

A good rule is to have one long ride / run a week that should account for less than 1/2 your weekly total, building up your mileage each week.

A week before the event do 80% ride distance then have the week off.

good luck :D
  • 1mancity2
    No its a 50k ride, and thanks for the info
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    That Grassinton round is a new one otherwise you might have been able to get hold of a route profile.

Expect about 2000 meters of climbing over the 50km distance. I did my first one last year at Ruthin and Its not the distance its the amount of climbing involved.

I would concentrate on climbing climbing and more climbing.

You say you do 15 miles twice a week but that means nothing unless it involves some significant climbs.

Measuring your twice weekly ride in meters climbed would be a better way of making a comparison.
  • 1mancity2
    Cheers Dirtydog, I will try to involve more off road climbs in my sessions