Bike Issues

mattygreg05
mattygreg05 Posts: 6
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all, I'm in desperate need of some help please.....

I have noticed that on a regular basis now that when i try change up or down a gear in some gears, it doesn't actuall change either straight away or until i've clicked to change up or down a further gear.

Its beginning to be really annoying now especially when i change to get through a sticky moment and I was hoping that you may be advise me what may be causing it.

Do I need a new derailluer or shifters or chain etc etc. ? ? ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the cable tension needs ajusting.

turn the adjuster 1/4 turns.

have a read of the how tos on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like the cable tension needs ajusting.

turn the adjuster 1/4 turns.

have a read of the how tos on Parktools.

What he said :)
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • ian220476
    ian220476 Posts: 164
    get a copy of the parks big blue book. Invaluable. It will walk you through this and everything else
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    how old / miles / worn is the chain and cassette?
    worn chains shift really badly and if the chains well past its best the cassette maybe worn out as well.
    Get yourself a chain-checker (Park do a great one) and see....save you money in the long run.
    Could also be the cable (inner and or outer) is full of crud / worn, even a little bit of dirt can make gear shift really badly....again check for wear and or put some lube down the cables.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    ^what nick and those said.

plus.... your gear cable may just be worn, dirty and sticky. They (but especially the rear gear cable) need renewing every year or so depending on the conditions you ride in, how you store your bike and how much you ride. A new gear cable can be the best value "upgrade" that you can make to your bike IMO
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Sounds like you need powercordz ;-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?