Bikes on planes

Ed81
Ed81 Posts: 6
edited January 2010 in Tour & expedition
I hope to do the routes des grandes alpes this summer between July 9th and July 20th.

I am happy that I can manage it in this timescale but my problem is transport to and from the start and end. Plane travel seems the obvious bet.

My question is: is it safe to use a bike bag to carry my bike on a plane? How much protection do these bags afford?

Could people feedback with their experiance. Thanks very much.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    edited January 2010
    Some people travel with bikes in clear plastic bags and have no problems (the theory being that if the baggage handlers can see that it'sa bike then they will treat it with more care). Otherwise you need to pack your bag so that it can withstand being chucked about and having stuff piled upon it. But, if you pack your bag with a reasonable degree of common sense you shouldn't have too much trouble (unless you are very unlucky).

But on the other hand - depending on where you live, the train is pretty quick and convenient, and if you book ahead it needn't be expensive. Have a look at www.seat61.com.
  • Expect damage. Air travel is a hostile enviroment for a bike. It will be potentially dropped, bashed, squashed, thrown....
    If you're not taking a hard bike case, get loads and loads and loads (seriously loads) of bubble wrap and have it shrink wrapped at the airport if possible. Costs a few quid but wrap it like your best china for a house move. Realising your wheel doesn't spin straight when you try to ride out from the airport is a downer
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    edited January 2010
    Search the archives on this forum as this is a popluar subject.Also have you heard of the Bike Express
    http://www.bike-express.co.uk/
    Best also talk to the Airline you are using on their bike policy especially if using Easijet etc.With them you pay extra for the bike when you book.Dealing with check in staff last minute who dont know what to do is risk so best arrive early
    jc
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    A good bike bag lined with cardboard and filled with bubble wrap, should protect your bike at least as well as a hard case. I use pipe lagging on the bike as well.
    When I've finished packing, I work on the basis that I should be able to drop the bag from the top of the stairs without sustaining damage. I've never actually tried that though :? .
  • yep I'll just add what the other posters have been saying. I have a "soft" case bike bag and have travelled on 2 return trips and haven't sustained any damage.

I do spend quite a bit of time wrapping it though (plus take the wheels off, the pedals off, and turn the handlebars). I use cable ties to keep everything tight together, loads of pipe lagging for all tubes, loads and loads of bubble wrap around everything, and a cardboard "shell" around the bike before putting it in my bag. I manage to reuse most of the packaging and just leave it in my bike bag for the next time.

Thought when I read the topic it was the follow up to "Snakes on a plane" ;-)
  • mats
    mats Posts: 94
    I have taken my bike abroad several times in a soft bag and had no real damage. I remove everything and use tieraps to secure most of the components to the inside of the frame handle bars, brake leavers, shifters,rear derailleur, be sure to put some kind of support between the forks and also the chainstays. In short if it looks as if it could get bent or broken remove it and secure it or use something to support it.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    I took mine to Italy last year in a soft bag travelling with Easyjet. As suggested, I also used some additional bubble wrap, and pipe lagging and everything went well. the bike did not suffer any damage at all. Have you thought about what you will do with the bike bag at the other end?
  • Ed81
    Ed81 Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the comments. I think that I am going to take the few extra days and drive down as this works out cheaper for us as there is a group. There is also the issue that was pointed out as to what we do with the bags while we cycle!
  • harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    Pretty useful starting point for a guide on how to pack the bike well:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5184
  • sounds like you're driving - but if it helps, we did the grande route last September - flew to Geneva with our bikes in cardboard bike boxes (available free from any bike shop - that's how they get the bikes delivered to them). Unpacked the bikes at the airport and the empty boxes were taken away in about two minutes by the very efficient cleaning staff at the airport. Still have the problem of how to get the bikes back from Nice - we found a friendly bike shop there and got boxes from them.
    It's a great ride - we had snow at the top of the Galibier, which wasn't so great. July should be better