Can anyone advise on knee support please?

grumlethegoat
grumlethegoat Posts: 44
edited January 2010 in Health, fitness & training
I run and mountain bike but have had numerous problems with my right knee, I can run with a knee support on but need to find one to cycle with. The one that I run with is too bulky to cycle with as it bunches up at the back of the knee. Any advice would be well appreciated.

Comments

• cot
    cot Posts: 23
    not much help but ive just got back into running and moutain biking and my right knee hurts too, quite painful walkiing up the stairs. think its bought on by the running tho, wonder if theres a reason its right knee?
  • I have had problems with my itb for a few years, http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_knee-ili_sma.htm

I've spent a small fortune at physio's but it never got any better and at £30+ a time I stopped going after a couple of months.
    I'm used to having the pain now but would like to find a 'backless' knee support.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I had a arthroscopy scrape of the knee, and then needed a support for a time. One knee brace was lined with a metal pivot, but it dug in after a while.
    So...2nd one was fitted with a plastic hinge, which can also be removed. Much better!

Gets smelly, sweaty and the velcro straps slip at times, but its ok.
    A bit of Tubigrip underneath helps limit the slipping.

I think it may be an American Football one, but not sure.
    Might be able to find maker if you're interested.
  • Defenitely - thanks
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Have you considered adapting an ordinary knee support - if you just cut away the bit round the back of the knee joint that might help - should still be enough support as long as you don't cut away too much? (Aldi did have cheapo knee suports in recently - if you could get one it might be worth a try just to see if it still does the job?
    I've got knackered knees too - I find a liberal smearing of Deep Heat etc before riding and some cheap knee supports work wonders (for a while :roll: ) - anything to keep the knees warm (even in summer!)
  • Splottboy
    I had the exact same operation on my right knee. Left my knee rather weak and fragile.

However, after a lot of gym training and leg strengthening its much much better now... not great but better.

I find that my kyle strait knee pads offer enough support so that I don't have to wear a strap.

Also, I wouldn't reccomend clipless pedals to anyone with knee problems. I tried them for a while and they killed my knee! :(
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    My physio always thinks trying to correct it is much better than relying on a support.

Had helped me from hardly being able to walk to getting good running and tri race results.
  • MarkDon
    MarkDon Posts: 200
    I've noticed since i'm riding again my left knee is clicking alot going from bent to straight.

No pain as yet, but it is a bit worrying, hope it doesnt lead to anything.

Going to start taking cod liver oil, and anything else i can find thats good for joints!
    2009 Kona Blast Deluxe - W.I.P Started...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12693279