softlad Posts: 3,513
    no
  • Hunterg46
    Hunterg46 Posts: 133
    okay thanks.
  • Hunterg46
    another thing...

im signing up for the surry cycling league thing, but im not sure whether i'm a junoir, youth or senior?

Whats the difference between youth&junior?

And they say youth age group is UNDER 16's - i was 15 at the beginning of the year, however am now 16... how does it work?!!?!
  • softlad
    I think you may have just answered your own question - if you are 16 you are now a junior...
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    You are still a youth for road racing up until 31 st December of year you have your 16th birthday-different for cyclocross though

See here http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/corporate/2009_handbook_06_rules_general_road_track.pdf
  • softlad
    but I doubt if he's taken out a licence yet, so if/when he does, my guess is he will have to sign as a junior..?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    There is a LOWER age limit for bunch racing on the public highway though..........can only race closed circuit races as a YOUTH......have to be a JUNIOR or above to race on open roads.

However, once over 16, even though you may still be classified as a Youth, you can opt for a Junior licence:

"On reaching his 16th birthday a rider may apply for a Junior competition licence in order to be permitted to compete on the open road. On taking up this option he may no longer compete as a Youth rider."

For 2010 Season:
    - U16 (Youth) - born 1994 or 1995
    - Junior - born 1992 or 1993
    - Senior - born 1991 or earlier
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Bronzie wrote:
    There is a LOWER age limit for bunch racing on the public highway though..........can only race closed circuit races as a YOUTH......have to be a JUNIOR or above to race on open roads.

Won't he need dispensation to race a 4th cat race as a youth or junior even on a circuit?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Most races are open to 4th and Junior though aren't they?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    JibberJim wrote:
    Won't he need dispensation to race a 4th cat race as a youth or junior even on a circuit?
    Not if he opts to take out a Junior licence (as he is now 16) rather than a Youth licence. He will need to complete a Parental Consent Form when applying for his licence (and may be requested by race organisers also).

Youth licence holders can only enter races open to Youths (which does not include 4th Cat races).
  • Hunterg46
    Okay okay, so whats this about licenses?

and whats the difference between a junior and youth?! :)
  • softlad
    a youth is 15 - a junior is 16. Have you not read any of the replies..?