new to road racing topics

ozzzyosborn206
ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
edited February 2010 in Amateur race
Ok, so at the moment there is at least 3 or 4 topics all about starting road racing. Whats it like, how fast is it? etc.

So i was thinking if we just make this one group full of info for people new to racing, the forum will not get so clogged up(and yes i do realise this is probably adding to the problem but with a bit of luck it will help it in the long term)

No race is the same, the hills, wind and whether the races is constant speed or jumping around all over the place make so much differance there isn't even any point in knowing the average speed ect.

As for locations, have a look on the british cycling website for details of races, you can select which region you are looking to race in aswell which makes it so much easier than waiting for someone to reply on here. They also state the distance of the race too.

Comments

• dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I think you're trying to herd cats mate. Perhaps Bike radar could open a beginners racing bit. Otherwise you're always going to get these threads clogging up this section.

Partially it's because getting your head round racing is not easy when you're a beginner. But last time I tried to point this out I was treated like an idiot by the people who already know all about racing (so they think it's all obvious).

This part of the forum continues to make my point, every day.

The other bit is that it's quite scary for some people to get into racing, so they need reassurance. This means they ask questions like "how fast is it?" despite there being no right answer.

As for me, I'm just going to go along and see how long I can stay with the group for. I have no reason to believe I won't be dropped.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    dulldave wrote:
    As for me, I'm just going to go along and see how long I can stay with the group for. I have no reason to believe I won't be dropped.

this sentence should be made a 'sticky' - it really is all a new racer needs to know......
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    softlad wrote:
    dulldave wrote:

this sentence should be made a 'sticky' - it really is all a new racer needs to know......

+1, dont worry about being dropped in your first races, happens to everyone, cos you havent got a clue about racing, but racing is how you learn how to race, and that first race where you finish in the bunch and maybe have ideas about getting involved at the finish is great.

Stick with it dulldave.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Save yer entry money Dave - wastin yer time son, wastin yer time :wink:
  • Its true, In my first road races i was straight out the back as soon as the group went round the first corner. It put me off big time!
    It has scared a lot of people away permanently from road racing, because they personally feel its their fitness to blame.
    However after building up my confidence with experience i starting getting top 10s in the first year.

Key points:
    Stay in the front 1/3rd of the bunch at all time.
    Get out the saddle after each corner and sprint with the group.
    Build up confidence with riding very close to others - hit a local chain gang.

Its very simple once you get going Dave.
    Enjoy :D