Recommend a CX bike on Cyclescheme

skins2
skins2 Posts: 78
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
... for my wife. Must be under a grand and available in April/May 2010.

I've got a Focus Mares Disc, but a) I'm not sure Focus bikes are compatible with Cyclescheme, b) They don't have the 2010 version yet on Wiggle and c) it'd be suitable for her.

A disc bike isn't a requirement, just a preference.

I'm aware of the Tricross, Jake and Cannondale varieties so I'm looking for other suggestions.

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Genesis Croix de Fer

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gen ... e-ec021326

edit to add:
    I've no idea if evans are on Cyclescheme or not, but I';m sure there's a ridgeback/genesis dealer on it somewhere, two of my LBSs were when I got my Vapour on CS.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    As far as I'm aware Wiggle do the cycle scheme which means you'll be able to get a Focus.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Wiggle do their own Bike to Work scheme - this is different to Cyclescheme, which is a brand, and uses only independent bike shops that have a shop front. If the OP's employer is specifically using Cyclescheme then Wiggle is not an option.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    NGale wrote:
    As far as I'm aware Wiggle do the cycle scheme which means you'll be able to get a Focus.

unfortunately they don't

Cyclescheme is limited to local bike shops and one or two chains
  • will3 wrote:
    Genesis Croix de Fer

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gen ... e-ec021326

edit to add:
    I've no idea if evans are on Cyclescheme or not, but I';m sure there's a ridgeback/genesis dealer on it somewhere, two of my LBSs were when I got my Vapour on CS.

I like them too, never ridden one, but I like them anyway.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,372
    Giant do one. A TCX I believe.

A link should be easy to find
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ridley Crossbow?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... sbow-10733

Or the Scott CX Comp?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    I think this will be my next C2W purchase.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/CX_Pro.html
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Yep. Linky. I'm thinking of sneaking a TCX in as a commuter/audax bike into the house via C2W. Hard to justify as its so similar to my SCR, but not using the scheme seems such a waste! :wink:

The Croix de Fer should be available through any Genesis dealer, but £999 is pushing it a bit for CroMo-forked steel bike. How about the Day One Cross singlespeed at half the price?

Ridley have a long history in cyclo-cross, though I don't know if that counts for a lot or if it's merely marketing talk. There's Kinesis too.

Reviews - http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... yclo-cross

In the end if it's down to which one you like best.

The big shops like Wiggle, Evans etc run their own schemes so they don't have to pay 10% to the company that administers the scheme. Presumably they also can also offer bikes worth >£1,000 as they have the required credit facilities.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The fact is: I would get my Tricross again given the choice. I've never really been able to fault it since buying it. The only thing I'd change is the tyres for road conditions but that's it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • skins2
    Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Genisis as it has led me to the Vapour - looks like good value.

The BMC Cross Machine CX02 looks great too but is a little over budget.

I was really hoping to get 10-speed and 105 shifters for that budget so the Jake the Snake is looking like great value too.

Any more?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Kinesis tripster?

I want a Croix de fer though.

Is it for CX use or commuting?

I probably would go for the Kona, Vapour or Ridley Crossbow for proper CX racing.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Skins2 wrote:
    I was really hoping to get 10-speed and 105 shifters for that budget so the Jake the Snake is looking like great value too.

Any more?

Can't think of any more (others may :) ). The JtS is a nice bike. I've done 6000+ miles on mine in the last 18months and I'm pretty happy with it. I've just had to get a replacement set of wheels as the rims have worn out on the Aksiums and I wanted a replacement wheelset rather than just new rims.

I'd point out that the rim wear is down to a lot of riding in seriously muddy conditions rather than a fundamental flaw with the bike.

Mike
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    I'm not criticising anyone here, I'm just curious. What is the appeal of cyclocross bikes? If people are buying them, and then changing the tyres over for riding on the road, isn't that just a road bike with wider clearances?

If so wouldn't those people be better off with a light tourer, which would be more likely to have useful stuff, like mudguard and pannier mounts?
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • Onan wrote:
    I'm not criticising anyone here, I'm just curious. What is the appeal of cyclocross bikes? If people are buying them, and then changing the tyres over for riding on the road, isn't that just a road bike with wider clearances?
    In the case of my bike I stick with the CX tyres as my commutes is 50% on tarmac with the rest on gravel and mud. The JtS has all the mountings for bottles and a rack (not that I use them ;) ).

Mike
  • Kieran_Burns
    Onan wrote:

If so wouldn't those people be better off with a light tourer, which would be more likely to have useful stuff, like mudguard and pannier mounts?

My tricross has the muguard, pannier and 3 bottle mounts - and the wider clearances, plus the low gear range for serious hill climbing - and the near road bike speed... plus the ability to go happily off road if'n I want to
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Onan wrote:

I want one for the option of being able to put nobblies on for the odd snowy day without having to resort to the MTB which is hard going over 20 miles.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I've never been convinced that CX bikes are needed unless you're going to be doing proper mud plugging CX.

I've ridden normal road bikes fitted with guards along towpaths, bridleways, up Caer Caradocetc with no issues. Current winter bike is Enigma Etape and that gets me through everything I need - any worse and it justifies the MTB coming out.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Kieran_Burns
    I've never been convinced that CX bikes are needed unless you're going to be doing proper mud plugging CX.

I've ridden normal road bikes fitted with guards along towpaths, bridleways, up Caer Caradocetc with no issues. Current winter bike is Enigma Etape and that gets me through everything I need - any worse and it justifies the MTB coming out.

Yeah, but you don't get to wear a cape. Chicks dig the cape.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • skins2
    I've ridden normal road bikes fitted with guards along towpaths, bridleways, up Caer Caradocetc with no issues.

You're my hero!

We're warming to the Ridley as it seems to be customisable (according to some reviews).

She will use it for commuting and the odd weekend cycle on roads, paths and bridleways.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,372
    Simon E wrote:
    Yep. Linky. I'm thinking of sneaking a TCX in as a commuter/audax bike into the house via C2W.

Was in McConvey Cycles (Belfast) yesterday and saw both the TCX and Tricross.

Purely on looks I say Tricross.

Also don't understand the logic of a whiite CX bike.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Skins2 wrote:
    I've ridden normal road bikes fitted with guards along towpaths, bridleways, up Caer Caradocetc with no issues.

You're my hero!

We're warming to the Ridley as it seems to be customisable (according to some reviews).

She will use it for commuting and the odd weekend cycle on roads, paths and bridleways.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Depending on how muddy the paths and bridleways get, it might be worth getting two pairs of tyres. The nobblies will wear out on the road. If the bike is sold with nobblies, consider asking if you can swap to slicks at no charge. Fwiw, I have 23mm Schwalbe Duranos on my Kona Jake, and use 30mm Michelin Mud 2s for some mud-plugging (they ar also very handy in the snow :) ).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • skins2
    cjcp wrote:
    Depending on how muddy the paths and bridleways get, it might be worth getting two pairs of tyres. The nobblies will wear out on the road. If the bike is sold with nobblies, consider asking if you can swap to slicks at no charge. Fwiw, I have 23mm Schwalbe Duranos on my Kona Jake, and use 30mm Michelin Mud 2s for some mud-plugging (they ar also very handy in the snow :) ).

I've got a pair of 28mm Gatorskins at the ready!
  • Skins2 wrote:

Watch the frame geometry before buying. Many dedicated CX bikes have steep seat tube angles and short top tubes. This gives a very forward and aggressive sitting position suitable to short duration high speed CX races where the emphasis is speed not comfort. But not everyone like such an aggressive position.
    Dedicated CX race bikes lacks eyelets for full fenders and racks, so fitting such items is usually a cumbersome process with ugly sub-par results.
    Brake judder, brake squealing, and not so fantastic breaking power is also typically more of a problem on CX bikes. So sometimes some experimentation with brake pads, cable lengths, brake hangers or new brakes is necessary.

Unless one wants fat off road tires or studded winter tires, most commuters are better off with an audax/touring style race bike like Kinesis bikes' Racelight T2 or Tk2 that have all eyelets, comfortable geometry, and the ability to use both full fenders and 28 mm tires. Such bikes do surprisingly well off the asphalt.

--
    Regards
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    bianchi d2 axis ?

I've just ordered one through bike2work
  • Drumsey
    Drumsey Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Hi,

New to this fourm, every time I search for a cyclocross bike I'm considering this thread comes up in the searches.

I'm in the same predicament as the thread author.

I'm after a bike I can use to commute, use 28s on for road and 35s on for other terrain.

I have narrowed down my options to:

Genesis Vapour or Croix de fer
    Focus Mares
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Spesh Tricross Sport
    Ridley Crossfire

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Cheers
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I just rode to work for the first time on my Giant TCX

It is awesome.

WIth mudguards, lights, panniers and rack, and lock, as well as antitheft skewers, came in under 1k
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Also don't understand the logic of a whiite CX bike.
    LOL - my club mates were ripping me on Sunday - I have white bar tape on my cross bike, and every race it gets completely plastered in mud. Then afterward lovingly cleaned so looks good as new (bar a few scuffs) every time! :)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    linsen wrote:
    I just rode to work for the first time on my Giant TCX

It is awesome.

WIth mudguards, lights, panniers and rack, and lock, as well as antitheft skewers, came in under 1k
    Heard good things about that bike - nice one!
  • ridin8ude
    ridin8ude Posts: 88
    Just had confirmation from wiggle that they can get the Focus Mares Disc 2010 model for 999, but seems that they need to order it in.