Nearby 4th Cat races in Central Kent?

barrybridges
barrybridges Posts: 420
edited January 2010 in Amateur race
Can anyone please help me - I'm based near Bromley but struggling to find any 4th Cat races that are remotely close to me.

SERRL has races over in Fowlmead which is 57 miles away.
Redbridge is 31 miles away and I'd need to drive through central london, so quite difficult to get to.
Ashford is 55 miles away.

Brenchley is 30 miles away, but no 4th Cat races there on SERRL.

Goodwood (Srrey League) is 73 miles away.
Kitsmead Lane is 47 miles at the other end of the M25.
Dunsford is 47 miles.

Crystal Palace seems to be the closest - 11 miles, but that's summer only?

Are there any reasonable regional events for a 4th Cat like me starting out? It just seems that there's going to be a lot of driving involved to get to any race - and I don't actually have access to our car most weekends :(

Comments

• Also, does anyone know if the Surrey League beginner races are taking place this year? Nothing on their website - and I know that Chertsey is/was closed - but it does say the next event is Feb 2010 although their calendar says March (and no mention of beginners races)
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Join a club and share lifts? Traffic i slight early on a Sunday morning so that helps.

4th cat races are limited (usually) to closed circuits. You hae mentioned the current nearby closed circuits so you have an idea of where you need to get to.

Hog Hill (Redbridge) and Fowlmead are apparently good set ups. Crystal Palace is very busy, very narrow and has a hill so can be daunting for a newcomer - but is friendly so don't let that put you off. Evenings only as it is in a popular park.

Dunsfold is an airfield so big and flat, Goodwood is similar.

Kitsmead lane is actually on the road I think.

I don't know Brenchley or Ashford.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    if you don't have a car at the weekend, you're kind of stuffed...

These are on the BC calendar for the south east:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... sultspp=20

And if you're over 40, you can check out LVRC events too...
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    I had the same problem regarding trying to find a 4th cat race. Based on my experience, I would go to Fowlmead to have a go at their Winter Series as the start time is not too early and you could be there in an hour and a quarter from where you live. Either that or Hillingdon which is on the doorstep of Heathrow, and may be slightly quicker to get to. If you do a few 4th cat races and score enough points, or better still just one (if you win!) then you will have much more choice of the road circuits down in Kent.

Ironically I live on the doorstep of the Staple Hill, Kitsmead Lane, and Ottershaw circuits - but have never raced on them...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • I got the same problem but I'm just planning to book B+B's for the night before on longer trips and cycle out slowly to not exhaust myself. As long as you're reasonably fit you'd still have a very good range of 50-80 miles for races. Might be anathema to some people - but it's better then not turning up at all.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Redbridge is 31 miles away and I'd need to drive through central london, so quite difficult to get to.

Why drive through London, hop on the M25 across the Dartford crossing, and then off the A127 to join the A12, and it is just off the A12.

If you didn't want to go via the crossing, getting to the Blackwall tunnel isn't too difficult, and then on the other side, get on the North Circular to the A12 and head out of London.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SBezza wrote:

Why drive through London, hop on the M25 across the Dartford crossing, and then off the A127 to join the A12, and it is just off the A12.

If you didn't want to go via the crossing, getting to the Blackwall tunnel isn't too difficult, and then on the other side, get on the North Circular to the A12 and head out of London.

+1