Recommend me an LBS in London!

2»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yeah, for pedal spanners... :lol:
    Dogma wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    Personally I would -1 On yer Bike at London Bridge as the front of house staff seem to know nothing about what they are selling. This ranges from questions about lights to questions about bikes. Personal favourite was going in with my girlfriend when she wanted a bike and having to correct pretty much everything the sales bloke said as it was completely wrong (trying to recommend unsuitable bikes and also recommending a far bigger bike size than she needed).

Another -1 for me, I work close to there and they completely ripped off one of my (rather naïve) colleagues, charged him a fortune for a service and claimed to have done things like (adjust his brakes and for new pads), they'd done nothing of the sort of course. Staff are pretty hopeless and they don't seem to stock much stuff, didn't even have pedal spanners when I went in.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Fred Williams Cycles in Wolverhamton.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    G-P, get some more coffee down yer neck. The OP wants shops in Lunnun :D

Takes 2 cups and the first hour doing very little before I'm awake proper
  • mrc1 wrote:
    Personally I would -1 On yer Bike at London Bridge as the front of house staff seem to know nothing about what they are selling.

If you'd asked me a few months ago, I'd have agreed with this opinion - OYB staff seemed to take great pleasure in winding me up every time I popped in for bits and pieces. (I remember when I was shopping for a new bike, the guy helping me choose told me that this particular bike had a 105 rear derailleur which was better than this other bike which had an Ultegra rear derailleur - erm, are you sure ...) But, recently, they seem to have improved massively and the guys I've spoken to in there recently have been genuinely helpful and friendly. I also find the Evans just on the south side of London Bridge has got some helpful and friendly staff.

(Not used OYB's servicing, though - so far, my Fratello has gone back to Condor and I "service" my MTB myself, although I'm tempted to start using my LBS near home - Herne Hill Bikes - as they've seemd very competent when I've been in there - not very convenient for the OP, though.)
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    gaz545 wrote:
    lastant wrote:
    Thanks people. I've given Geoffrey Butler a call and they have the Secteurs in stock in most sizes so going to go and try one tomorrow.

Another bonus with them is that they've got a 20% off offer on all 2010 bikes until 31st January - and 20-50% off all accessories!
    If your going by car then drive past GB and take the next left, next to the car dealer, there is a car park up there.

Take a sack of coins for the parking as it's extortionate in Croydon; If my memory's correct you still have to pay on Sundays.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:

Amazingly Sigma wasn't there, I suppose they probably sneer at the hipsters...
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Thanks for all the recommendations people.

Went down to Geoffrey Butlers down in Croydon today and (three hours later!) came out with my new bike - a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (2009 model). 30% off the bike as it was an '09 model and 20% off all accessories means I've come out of there with everything I could possibly need (bike, pedals, shoes, saddlebag, lights, bottle cages, crud mudguards, spare inner tubes and cleaner / lube) for what I consider a very reasonable price.

Really happy with the service, Steve was ever so helpful and would definitely recommend the place to anybody in the future.

Anyhoo, in case you're interested at all, here's what I've got...

daphnec.jpg
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Great stuff!! Now just get out and ride!!
  • lastant wrote:

Went down to Geoffrey Butlers down in Croydon today and (three hours later!) came out with my new bike - a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (2009 model). 30% off the bike as it was an '09 model and 20% off all accessories means I've come out of there with everything I could possibly need (bike, pedals, shoes, saddlebag, lights, bottle cages, crud mudguards, spare inner tubes and cleaner / lube) for what I consider a very reasonable price.

Really happy with the service, Steve was ever so helpful and would definitely recommend the place to anybody in the future.

daphnec.jpg

Some paint is urgently required on your skirting board.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Some paint is urgently required on your skirting board.

Ha ha...yeah, I know. That's the problem when you rent a shared place in London though - it's always one of those jobs you'll get round to or just leave to the landlord...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    lastant wrote:

daphnec.jpg

Oh dear oh dear...saddle bag for the photo...tut tut

otherwise good work
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14