Nobody ever died from a lack of bike racing

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2010 in Pro race
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100121/sp ... brailsford?

That article has got some of the most baffling statements I think I've ever seen.

I agree with the bit about cunning, but when you're dealing with a squad like HTC you need cunning and some luck.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• I am not sure he isn't trying to be to aloof with some of the things he is saying and the stances he is taking.

I cannot imagine that SKY will be the sort of sponsor who doesn't apply pressure and sees bike racing as an opportunity. They are in it for cash.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    If you take the weird first line out of it (which iain quotes in the topic title) I think what Brailsford says is pretty straightforward. From this:

"It's a sport, yes we're here to win, yes we're here to be serious, yes it's people's careers. But ultimately every day's an opportunity in life, isn't it? You just go and take those opportunities, and as soon as you start seeing those opportunities as threats it's probably the day that you should pack up."

I'm guessing the line of questioning was along the lines of whether he was under the same pressure as a football manager to produce results at Sky. And if they weren't coming would he/others be sacked.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Reading that, all I could think of was:

Cardinal Brailsford: "NOBODY expects TEAM SKY! Our chief weapon is cunning...cunning and smartness...smartness and cunning.... Our two weapons are cunning and smartness...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are cunning, smartness, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to Bradley Wiggins.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as cunning, smartness.... I'll come in again."
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Is everything Brailsford says this year going to be analysed, broken down and spat out again?
  • iainf72
    Is everything Brailsford says this year going to be analysed, broken down and spat out again?

As long as I'm still drawing breath, yes.

Unless Cuddly Bob says something to annoy me and I might leave Dave alone for a while.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Not sure the peloton really profits from a SWOT analysis Dave - do you think he means the team have to be smart or SMART? Bet it's death by PPT on that team bus ;)
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    micron wrote:
    Not sure the peloton really profits from a SWOT analysis Dave

"Schau'n mer mal", as Beckenbauer is fond of saying...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Is everything Brailsford says this year going to be analysed, broken down and spat out again?

As long as I'm still drawing breath, yes.

Unless Cuddly Bob says something to annoy me and I might leave Dave alone for a while.

Did he make you last pick for the school football team, or has your sky box blown up in your face?

Them guys at BMC, they are nice fellas :wink:
  • iainf72
    Did he make you last pick for the school football team, or has your sky box blown up in your face?

It's the black socks, truth be told.
    :wink:

When someones moral high horse takes a dump on the road, someone needs to pick it up and throw at back at them, rather than saying "ooooh, look at the nice horse"
  • But it was nice to see that horse in the first place, and it wasn't much of a dump.

There is so much dump in this road I don't see why this horse should have so much thrown back at it.
  • Iain, you are a legend. I didnt read the forum for ages but knowing you were still here made my return easier!