I've had enough - the worm has turned!

2»

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    This is a scary thread :(

Seriously pushing someone off a bike, wtf is wrong with people. It sounds like some of you would be safer cycling through a war zone.
  • 01iver
    01iver Posts: 3
    The worst abuse I've had has been out in Derbyshire and Yorkshire, where I've also seen the worst racism. I suspect the two sociopathic phenomena are linked.

I know a kiwi cyclist who has a special talent for retribution on aggressive and careless car users. I'd ridden with him when a driver swiped him with his car door as we rode past. No apologies, the idiot was just worried about the paint work on his pride and joy. Without hesitation my friend stuck two fingers into the back of his mouth and then spouted an eruption of vomit right over the bonnet!

Needless to say, the stomach acid made a mark on his paintwork!
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    edited January 2010
    Never had major abuse from anyone, and I live in south London and commute to Canary Wharf! Near misses, yes, but most times followed by an apology.

Now take a look at this, it happened in Miami. Just awful. :x

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/story/1436833.html?pageNum=4&&&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Comments_Container

Oh, and the scumbag parasite has a Facebook page, and is also in My Space, he's a singer or something.

Guess what I will be doing when I get home today!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    It may shock you all that I'm commuting through deepest darkest Derbyshire along the A624. Must be lots of very bored motorists who see a bit of cyclist baiting as a way of breaking up the monotony of nice road in beautiful countryside.

Things thrown at me : in the last ten years of this route... bottle of weewee with no top on it so gave a nice shower effect (nice), enough fruit to fill a good fruitbowl, empty coke cans

Best excuse for being driven off the road - was a lorry driver, he stopped to complain about my hand gestures from the gutter... "Im trying to earn a living, I'm not going up and down this road for fun"

Scariest moment - the local plasterer who had driven me into the kerb, annotyed by my hand gesture, stopped then tried to pull me off my bike as I passed. This was probaly the inspiration for no more hand gestures, just phone the police.

That's not too far from me :shock: Or are you at the Glossop end?
  • 01iver wrote:
    The worst abuse I've had has been out in Derbyshire and Yorkshire, where I've also seen the worst racism. I suspect the two sociopathic phenomena are linked.

I know a kiwi cyclist who has a special talent for retribution on aggressive and careless car users. I'd ridden with him when a driver swiped him with his car door as we rode past. No apologies, the idiot was just worried about the paint work on his pride and joy. Without hesitation my friend stuck two fingers into the back of his mouth and then spouted an eruption of vomit right over the bonnet!

Needless to say, the stomach acid made a mark on his paintwork!

Jesus thats a first post to cut out and keep.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • 01iver
    01iver Posts: 3

If I have any other moments worthy of entering cycling legend to share with you, I will. Unfortunately there's so little to write positively about cycling British roads.

I'm so thankful that I have the opportunity to jump on a train and get out to sweet country singletrack each weekend - pure escapism. I don't know how (you?) roadies wilfully submit yourselves to the terror of the British roads - far more terrifying than the most extreme trails I ever ride!
  • Jimmypippa...

I commute Hayfield to Chinley every school day
  • Three of us got shot with a BB gun cycling in Teignmouth, Police took 3 weeks to get a statement and then asked what i wanted done?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Jimmypippa...

I commute Hayfield to Chinley every school day

That must be quicker than by car at the moment...

Just sending you a PM
  • i've never had anything thrown at me, but i guarentee if i ever do, i'll throw it back. and if theres a window in the way it'll be going through it
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    +1.

Most drivers I encounter vary between reasonable and very considerate. Very few are a real problem.

However, one morning last week it was snowing hard with really poor visibility and this idiot in a van behind keeps beeping at me along this 200m straight. He eventually passes, telling me to pull over so I told him to f..k off (it was not a good place to park up and stand to one side, and I have every right to ride along there at 15-20 mph).

Last summer was the best. Car passes close enough for me to flap the passenger door with the back of my hand so the (male) driver stops and comes round to lecture me. I remained calm - he had kids in the car so a punch-up was not advisable, and anyway I was in the right, he was the transgressor. I suggested he go home and read the Highway Code. He got off lightly as I was already pissed off about an earlier incident, and he was lucky I forgot to memorise his numberplate.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,420
    Just be careful who you react to. I once got cut up by a BMW (surprise) taking a short cut down the bus lane on Clapham Road. As I passed him at the next lights, I tapped the side of his car with my toe (not hard enough to do damage, just to make a noise). Cue all sorts of maniac engine revving. I set off when the lights changed with him some way behind. He caught me and swerved into the curb blocking my path before winding down the window shouting all sorts of "who the f*ck do you think you are kicking my car?" and chucking anything he could find in his seatwell at me. Eventually he realised I wasn't going to 'start something' so stormed off with more over-revving only to get stuck at the ped crossing :), but all rather unsettling. I now keep reminding myself of this every time I feel like ripping off a wing mirror.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    once had a bottle thrown at me out of a car window, late at night, latter realised how nasty it could have been if it had hit me.

These days I try not to react to the bad driving / horn honking etc, except to yawn or make a point of looking them in the eye and shaking head. One of these days I'll crack and find myself opening someone's door and shouting at them but it won't end well......
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • Many years ago, my parents left me in the car (I would have been about 7 years old) and someone opened their door hitting my mums car. I went round and sat on his wing mirror and it broke. Then hid in the car hoping he wouldn't come back and see what I'd done. Never been so pleased to see my parents!
    Most of the time, I just get people trying to squeeze past. There is a road on my commute which isn't often wide enough for two cars. Countless times, someone overtakes me, then has to stop, but they always stop against the kerb so I can't get past. :twisted:
    Last week I had someone yelling something to me as he went past. He was pointing to the pavement, so guessed he thought I should be riding on the pavement. He roared off, only to be overtaken by me when we hit traffic...at least I got chance to ask what he was saying. Some people aren't so brave face to face... :roll:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Many years ago, my parents left me in the car (I would have been about 7 years old) and someone opened their door hitting my mums car. I went round and sat on his wing mirror and it broke. Then hid in the car hoping he wouldn't come back and see what I'd done. Never been so pleased to see my parents!
    Most of the time, I just get people trying to squeeze past. There is a road on my commute which isn't often wide enough for two cars. Countless times, someone overtakes me, then has to stop, but they always stop against the kerb so I can't get past. :twisted:
    Last week I had someone yelling something to me as he went past. He was pointing to the pavement, so guessed he thought I should be riding on the pavement. He roared off, only to be overtaken by me when we hit traffic...at least I got chance to ask what he was saying. Some people aren't so brave face to face... :roll:

Some people certainly are... If you want to call that 'brave'.

I prefer "some people are less of a human abomination face to face".
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.