When turning right - how far in advance to take primary?

matchbook
matchbook Posts: 23
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I am wondering what the done thing is.

Have started to move out quite early: perhaps 70m before junction, as otherwise I just seem to end up at a standstill on the left hand side, waiting for relatively fast moving traffic to clear in both directions.

Increasingly, I seem to get some kind of chap behind me, who overtakes quite aggressively after I have moved into primary position in anticipation of a right hand turn... then cutting straight back in front of me in order to avoid the oncoming traffic travelling at anything up to national speed limit.

In built up areas it's easier of course, due to lower average speed, but on the country roads/dual carriageways I use daily, turning right can be a real PITA, to the extent that I sometimes find it easier to get off and cross on foot.

There's got to be a better way, surely?

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    keep cycling past the turn, and do a u turn where there is a gap in traffic on both sides then turn left.. it may not be useful depend on the traffic flow. but it's better than taking primary on a 60+ road and better than waiting at the side of a 60+ road.
  • rather depends on road and pace.

But what I do is to indicate, then look behind, and then pull out, holding my line. ie I give plenty of warning and clear indication of what I am going to do.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Indication, indication, indication - plenty of glances over the shoulder - make it obvious that you're looking to turn - I usually start the routine about 50m before the turn but it does depend on traffic speed etc
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    edited January 2010
    In addition to the above, I do two things:

- slow down or speed up to either merge with faster traffic or take a gap;
    - I am not afraid of fully extending my right arm: I have seen too many cyclists in my area not giving an evident signal.

There is a particular junction near where I live, where I must be assertive not just in positioning myself but also in indicating clearly, with arms and usually with a stare at the driver behind. It is just after a right hand bend, and drivers, although fully aware of the 30mph restriction and camera up ahead, still use the junction as an opportunity to overtake.

I must ensure that they know I am about to turn and desist from overtaking even if they have engaged lower gear and have already moved over to the middle of the road.

See, some drivers are sneaky and will initiate an overtaking maneuver well before they are supposed to. It is paramount they are given an early warning.

In a way, it is "safer" if you ensure there is a driver behind you who has spotted your intention and is "protecting" you from a driver who might not have noticed your intention and might therefore be "aggravated" by your positioning.

Again, with skilled drivers this should not happen but we know who they give driving licenses to, don't we?
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    If it's a fast road where cars come up suddenly at great speed then you probably need stronger nerves than me. There comes a point when being right, but run over means taking that longer and safer route is just better for you.

For roads with heavier volumes of traffic then I second the other posters and say indicate, indicate and indicate. Have confidence to indicate and then make the move rather than hopelessly waiting (like cars you see on motorway slip roads who don't have the nerve to pull out and get stuck) waving like a drowning man.

It's uncertainty that hacks off drivers. I find that when I do clear and prolonged arm indications then they virtually always back right off. Most people can cycle one handed, yet I notice cyclists drifting around lanes and expecting others to work out what their intentions are.

Don't forget that a quick arm signal only informs the one car stuck behind you, whereas you need to be doing it long enough so that cars 2, 3 and 4 places back also know what's going on as their view might have been blocked during your initial move.
  • I have one particular right turn that I have to tackle regularly that's a bit unnerving. It's a two lane road coming down off Chiswick Bridge back towards London - cars generally pick up a bit of speed and are not always willing to slow down and give way to a right turning cyclist.

What I've found the best thing is be very assertive - often I don't just signal I'm going right, I actually turn and look at the driver and put my hand up in a 'stop' gesture. I've found that works! I give a nod and smile of thanks when they do let me over.

I look at it in the terms that motorists force us to cycle along hugging the left hand curb, so they should be prepared to let us turn right across the road when we need to.
    IN THE SADDLE
    "Locals are watching from pavement cafés. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me." Tim Krabbé, The Rider
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    i give plenty of notice of my intention and have found if they are not going too fast and you can make eye contact with the driver behind they almost always let you out, however making eye contact with someone doing 60= is kinda difficult haha id say it all depends on the road and how fast traffic is going