How far can you actually cycle with a punctured tyre

colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited January 2010 in MTB general
If you happen to pick up a puncture ... . Be it back / front or both .. And how many times will you have to stop to put in the air

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    3 time on the way home from work, 6 miles... rode the last mile with it flat as i could'nt be arsed to pump it up again...
    this was on my road bike on the road and was my front tyre...
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Every 2 miles

I've always believe riding with a flat does more damage ot the tube and wheel rim
  • a certain Lance Armstrong rode the last 10 miles of the Leadville 100 with a punctured rear tire last year, but i don't know much else about this as i have no personal experience.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    colintrav wrote:
    If you happen to pick up a puncture ... . Be it back / front or both .. And how many times will you have to stop to put in the air

That would pretty much depend on the tyre/tube, the size of the hole, and if the object that caused the hole is still in situ stopping the air escaping more quickly ?
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    Question should be how far can you ride before your rim is fooked,
  • chris_sw
    chris_sw Posts: 100
    Rode with a flat tyre for ~2 miles, and the tyre side walls don't look too great any more, rim is fine though, but this was over soft ground.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Far far too many variables.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    dumb question.
    why dont you ride over some tacks and find out for us.
    i'm really interested in the outcome.
    :wink:
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    I know someone that rode the half of the last lap of the 24/12 last year on a completely rear tyre ! Rim was fine
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Surely it depends on the size of the hole? If you've managed to get a needle through your tyre then it might deflate quite slowly. If it gets trapped behind the tyre, it could slice up your inner a treat...
  • leon69
    leon69 Posts: 53
    *AL* wrote:
    colintrav wrote:

That would pretty much depend on the tyre/tube, the size of the hole, and if the object that caused the hole is still in situ stopping the air escaping more quickly ?

+1
    If you dont bleed your not trying ...
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    biff55 wrote:
    dumb question.

We'll see more of this now he actually has a bike.
  • A couple of years ago I picked up a thorn in the rear tyre while about 5 miles from home on a hard-pack trail
    Inflated it twice but lost air pretty quickly so just continued riding on grass verges where I could.

Result: got home a lot quicker than walking; repaired puncture; removed thorn from tread.

Carried on riding on the same tyre + puncture repair kit next time!

I guess it depends on how much you weigh - I'm 10 1/2 stone, but I still wouldn't fancy controlling a bike with a flat front tyre.
  • Jenks66
    Jenks66 Posts: 96
    On the last decent of Whytes Level tyre was unridable after couple of hundred yards and could not re inflate as had 6mm split from a pinch flat.
    Only options were destroy the rim on the remaining decent
    walk or put a tube in
    spent 15 mins putting a new tube in and rode gingerly back as could see tubr through the hole!
    So can be very quick!

If you ride tubed tyre completley flat there is a strong chance the tube will be destroyed from the continual pinching
  • 2nd time out on my new road bike...

Hit a raised manhole cover at about 35mph, had a big wobble but managed to hang on,
    within about 1/4 mile the front tyre deflated completely. Luckily had slowed right down by then as traffic lights at the bottom of the hill were red.

This was 13 miles from home. Had spare tube and puncture kit but... no pump! :oops:

No choice but to continue on but pulled the tube out after about 5 miles as the thumping was becoming annoying.

Tyre now has a few pinch cracks and the edge of the rim is pitted but not dented, wheel stayed true.

Had a shiny new pump next time I went out... :D
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Briggo wrote:
    biff55 wrote:
    dumb question.

We'll see more of this now he actually has a bike.

all we've seen is a blurred photo of some handle-bars.
    could still be a bluff.
  • Me? Zero! Why? As I always carry a spare tube, CO² inflator, a few canisters of CO² AND a puncture repair kit on every ride. Why bother riding with a flat when it takes under 10 minutes to do a tube change or repair a puncture?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    "How many times will you have to stop and pump it up" = "How long is a peice of string".

Idiot.

Anyway, The question is pointless even if it wasnt a troll, you should carry around a spare tube(s) & repair kit with you anyway for the inevitable flat tyres...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you could ride as far as you want.

there are some tramps around here that dont use tyres or tubes.

if the question is how far can you ride on flat tyres with out damaging them. then not far. and the shorter distance the better. like meters.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Carry a decent pump and a spare tube and you'll never need to find out.
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    This was 13 miles from home. Had spare tube and puncture kit but... no pump! :oops:
    rotfl3.gif
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Last weekend I had a puncture on my road bike front tyre, I had 3 miles to go, and a deadline (tickets booked to see Avatar - wish I hadn't wasted those 3 hours of my life! :evil: ). I would have missed the cinema if I stopped to repair it so I rode on it. The tyre was a Schwalbe Marathon 700x25, these are quite heavy duty and have pretty stiff side walls and a wire bead, and it rode pretty well in a straight line, didn't feel like the rim was taking a hammering. On the bends it was a different matter and I had about 6 front wheel skid moments as the tyre tried to part company - saved it every time :D

Anyway, no damage done, rim tyre and tube (now repaired) show no sign of damage. Now I reckon this would be entirely different with a large volume mtb tyre, especially one with a kevlar bead, I can't seeing it staying put for long.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Worth carrying some tyre boots as well in case you rip the side wall. I also carry self adhesive patches (far less faff than a traditional puncture repair kit), two tubes and a pump.

Don't intend to cycle anywhere with a flat tyre, rims and tyres are too expensive to bin because you couldn't be bothered to carry a few spares.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Worth carrying some tyre boots as well in case you rip the side wall. I also carry self adhesive patches (far less faff than a traditional puncture repair kit), two tubes and a pump.

Don't intend to cycle anywhere with a flat tyre, rims and tyres are too expensive to bin because you couldn't be bothered to carry a few spares.

+1

I run tubeless, but I carry a puncture repair kit and two spare tubes. Just got a tyre boot (or 3) and some self adhesive patches to take on a big ride at the weekend.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    The question is why do you not fix the puncture in the first place, surely you'd get to your destination faster in the long run?
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Gets out ball of string and a tape measure. :lol:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"