Best frame protection options for an Orange Five????

The Dirty Downhiller
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hi there,

I have just purchased a 2010 Orange Five SE, pics to follow, but before i give it a good thrashing i was wondering what people think are the best options to protect the frame.

Obviously helicopter tape, but others i have seen velcro, etc?

Any thoughts and pics about what and where to use would be appreciated.

Thanks.
One Life...Live It...

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i used those lizzard skin patches to prevent cable rub on my bikes.

also use a chain stay protector on the chain stay... thats about it..
  • http://www.biketart.com/products/framewrap

I use this on the chainstays of all my bikes, its great stuff.
  • i scuffed my swing arm on my 5 after 1 ride with catching my heel on it. just wrapped lower swing arm in white electrical tape, looks poo tho. ur bikes gonna get sratched no matter what mate.. unless u wrap the full thing in tape lol.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    'copter tape for general stuff like cable rub and on the down tube for stone chips, and 'copter tape underneath a lizard skin on the chainstay, or for and even quieter ride use that frame wrap or an old innertube under the lizzard skin.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    My new five has copter tape treatment - not too bad to apply - gently heat with hairdryer and cut the corners into curves to stop it lifting.

It does seem to have attracted a bit of dirt on the endges though.

At the end of the day its a bike not a an ornament.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    patches at cable rub points; take your pick there's literally '000s of different ones/colours/etc
    a lizard kin type thing on your chainstay, i'd be a little surprised that one didn't come fitted on a new bike but anyway, they're cheap. The neoprene ones that wrap around and velcro on are my fave.

for the rest; mud forms a hard armoured layer stopping rust, chips and gremlins fom getting at your lovely paint.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day