RAAM - Race Across America - Racing Tandem Category...

stuturnbull
stuturnbull Posts: 2
edited January 2010 in Pro race
Hi all,

Myself and a pal are embarking on a bid to compete for the Tandem category title in the 2012 RAAM. The RAAM is a non-stop, 3000 mile race from San Diego on the West Coast of America to Annapolis on the East Coast. It's pretty grueling and will be demanding on our bike too.

Our problem is that we are both brand new to tandem racing and I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice or had any experience in racing tandems especially under these conditions? We would love to hear any advice you may have on tandem bike manufacturers, suggested wheel base length, bike set-up, kit, training tips, potential cruising speeds, EVERYTHING!!

Our aim is to cycle from Land's End to John O'Groats in 3 days this year followed by the 'Round Ireland Race' next year to qualify for the RAAM which follows in the summer of 2012.

Big thanks in advance,

Regards,

Stu Turnbull

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    No advice from me I'm afraid Stu but big respect for the attempt and lots of luck. You'll need it!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    I think rich cp rides in the lakes with a club/group that includes a tandem?

visually impaired stoker IIRC

made it round the fred whitton without getting off on the climbs ISTR... no mean feat
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    No advice from me either

But you may be interested in this Race Around Ireland link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 407980.stm
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Go to Competitorradio.com and have a look for the interview with Michael Seacrest. He won the RAAM in 1987, and he holds the world indoor 24 hour record, which he set while in his 50s - something like 535 miles. A 24 carat mentalist!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    You'll probably have more luck finding people with that sort of experience over on:

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Hi, Sti. Welcome to the forum.

I can't be much help on the tandem, but have you had a look at the Tandem Club site? There may be some nuggets on this forum.

This BR article on Training: How to ride long might be useful as an overview of some of the aspects involved. It's not very detailed.

It might be worth your while looking at Jim Rees’website Team Inspiration. Jim was the subject of a Channel 4 prog a couple of years ago when he did RAAM solo. If you google his name there seems to be quite a bit on-line.

You don't say anything about your cycling history or ability so it's difficult to make any suggestions without making a load of assumptions. Do you have any endurance cycling (audax / randoneering) exoerience? From my lurking on audax sites, endurance cycling is a completely different kettle of fish from racing: it's as much about managing fuel / hydratiion, planning rest stops and managing tiredness / fatigue and the emotional / psycological highs and lows as it is about turning the pedals. These aspects are very personal and I wonder how that would work if you and your partner deal with them in different ways.

It occurs to me that it'll be experience that'll see you succeed in a mammoth ride like RAAM. Perhaps a build-up something like an SR series - a 200km, 300km, 400km, 600km - would help to anticipate and iron out probs before going for the longer distances.

Anyhoo, good luck.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    edited January 2010
    From my understanding of RAAM; a psychologist, a nutrionist and a physio have to be core elements of the plan. Riding tandem is going to place massive strain on the relationship between riders - there was the story of one RAAM rider who believed that his support team were a hit squad of assassins - imagine how it could pan out on a tandem? Also consider the impact of one of the riders falling asleep? All credit to you, but you're going to have to work-up a step-by-step plan in the next 18 months to build yourself and your support team into a cohesive team to get you to Annapolis.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    I'll try to be in Annapolis for the finish when you ride in, its only 45 min drive away. Good luck
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Having watched the prog. about Jim Rees's solo RAAM ride I'd echo the cautious comments about sleep deprivation causing serious problems (along with the heat, the roads, etc etc). He had a well-equipped and drilled support team and still found it incredibly hard going.

For tandem-specific info you might get some sense out of David Harmon and Ant McCrossan, who have just announced they're going to attack some TT records:

http://blog.islayinfo.com/article.php/t ... dem-launch
    http://www.wiggleblog.com/category/team ... le-tandem/

Good luck Stu.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.