Bike storage?

Skippy2309
Skippy2309 Posts: 426
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Maybe a silly question but where do you guys lock up when you get home?

Have a shed but its getting very annoying having to carry the bike through the house, across the garden and then try and fit it in amongst the other bikes.

Keeping it in the house is not an option already been told off for it once :roll:

Is it possible to get something to store the bike in safely. I dont want to leave it out to the elements either.

I have seen bike tents but i think these will be ridiculously over sized and not that secure....
FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The only thing approaching secure outdoors will be a shed with an anchor point fitted to a concrete base and a suitable chain and lock in the £150 ish category (Almax) and possibly alarms and security lights, and maybe barbed wire.

I store the bikes in the bedroom.
  • I keep my bike in the conservatory as Insurance will only pay out if it's stolen from attached outbuildings. The garden shed is a bit useless in terms of security. Fortunately, I've got a gate at the side of the house so can wheel the bike around the back.
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Integrated garage - when I moved house this was a pre-requisite for anywhere I looked at.

Although there was that one cottage with the office space above the separate garage... that was something else. 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    One of mine is stored in a locked, padlocked and alarmed shed. Not to keep my bike safe mind you but to keep all the power tools in the shed with it safe.

However the old BSO is kept under a bike cover hidden behind the shed with the glass wheelie bin wedging it in.

Living in this stupid little town in the middle of nowhere does have it's advantages sometimes :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    Keeping it in the house is not an option already been told off for it once :roll:

Whose house is it? MTFU dude!

I keep my baby inside, no way is it living outside or in the garage...
  • Skippy2309 wrote:

I keep my baby inside too :shock: If I didn't, then social services would probably be knocking on my door.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Some, I keep in the remains of the garage - what was left after I converted 2/3 of it into a small office:

bikerack.jpg

The other two, I keep in the office. One lives on top of my rowing machine, the other lives suspended from the ceiling:

turbotrainer.png

Works for me, although the office is a little cramped.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    pretty sure that's three bikes in your office

How the hell do you cope with that????

I'm fully aware the red road bike is pictured twice
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    pretty sure that's three bikes in your office

How the hell do you cope with that????

I'm fully aware the red road bike is pictured twice

Maybe he's a roadie and is in denial about having an MTB in the house :lol:
  • If you've got a banister upstairs with space I hang mine over that - unused space, otherwise hang ceiling or wall out of reach in dead area.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Skippy2309 wrote:

As I always tell my GF, I would never ever keep my bike in the house when she's away. I know which side my bread's buttered :wink:

3407924838_b6ffb07140_m.jpg
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,420
    I had mine in the shed over the summer, but the dark evenings and the garden turning to mud have knocked that on the head, so it's been in the hall for a while now and it's ruined the hall carpet due to the recent weather (we're replacing it anyway so no worry there) and is even starting to annoy me now as I keep clipping the bars on my way past and knocking it over.

So over the Christmas break I ordered an Asgard (as reviewed in C+). It just arrived today, so I'll let you know after I've assembled it this weekend, but a quick glance at the sizable brackets and the 114kg weight suggest it'll be pretty hefty.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Skippy2309 wrote:

As I always tell my GF, I would never ever keep my bike in the house when she's away. I know which side my bread's buttered :wink:

3407924838_b6ffb07140_m.jpg

Ooooo nice dinning room, my whole house is full of children (not all mine) and there junk (not drugs) the garage on the other hand is now chock-a-block
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    Integral garage - car stays outside on the drive and helps block the garage door :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry wrote:
    I had mine in the shed over the summer, but the dark evenings and the garden turning to mud have knocked that on the head, so it's been in the hall for a while now and it's ruined the hall carpet due to the recent weather (we're replacing it anyway so no worry there) and is even starting to annoy me now as I keep clipping the bars on my way past and knocking it over.

I have been told about the dirt on the floors, unfortunately the house is not big enough for me to keep the bike inside, no where to hang it up safely.... Hopefully I get the job I have applied for so I can get a new place once I have everything sorted.
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,420
    Asgard has arrived and been assembled (very easily). All very good with just the small niggle of the shrouded padlocks being a bit fiddly if you are all done up ready to go and have your gloves on. I think they have upgraded to a proper built in 3-point lock on newer models. Just the job: comfortably room for three bikes + fettling and cleaning stuff in something that will keep anyone without an angle grinder or big crowbar at bay (and if they have those, they can get into your house anyway. Mrs RJS is very happy with not having to squeeze past the bike in the hall as well. They might seem a bit steep at £400, but a decent wooden shed won't set you back much less and 3 bikes can easily be worth more than that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition