Anyone park their bike on Cannon St Bike rack opp Kruger?

dresbo
dresbo Posts: 129
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I just stopped someone from stealing (I think) a Carrera Virago from this bike rack.

He had a portable angle grinder and went through the Abus Granit (or similar) in about 5 seconds literally. I only knew it was happening from across the road because of the noise and sparks.

When I confronted him he insisted it was his, but as soon as I said I was going to phone the police anyway he walked off. Of course, it could be his, but it seems unlikely that you would disappear as soon as I mentioned the police if it was yours. Everyone else was just walking past. Crazy. Why you'd leave such a nice bike on display in broad daylight, I don't know. Police said that there's no cctv in that area either, so you might want to avoid that rack.

The police have taken the bike to the station and left a note on the rack.

Amazing how quickly the lock was broken through. I've got one of those myself.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Well done!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Well done!

+1

Mind you, leaving a £999 carbon roadie locked at a major station in London is pretty mental...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Maybe he wanted the insurance money to put towards a non-Carrera! ;) (Only joking, I have nothing against Halfords bikes...)

Kind or reinforces what I've always thought about expensive locks though, if they want the bike they'll have it - really the lock is just a visual deterrent / put off passing chavs, and any D-lock probably does that equally well.
  • dresbo
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Well done!

+1

Mind you, leaving a £999 carbon roadie locked at a major station in London is pretty mental...

Funny - he told me he'd bought it for £999. Are you sure it wasn't you? ;>)

It stuck out like a sore thumb on the rack. I'm pretty sure he was stealing it as I went to the station to give a statement and he still hadn't turned up to collect! Funny that.
  • il_principe
    dresbo wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Well done!

+1

It stuck out like a sore thumb on the rack. I'm pretty sure he was stealing it as I went to the station to give a statement and he still hadn't turned up to collect! Funny that.

:shock: I'd pay £999 NOT to have a Halfords bike.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    dresbo wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Well done!

+1

Do you have a halfords bike?

If not, where do I send the invoice?
  • il_principe
    will3 wrote:
    dresbo wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Well done!

+1

Do you have a halfords bike?

If not, where do I send the invoice?

Send it to DDD.
  • dresbo
    MatHammond wrote:
    I have a Halfords bike! :)

not any more...