Video Evidence

Runoutofgears
Runoutofgears Posts: 348
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I’ve noticed a lot of interest in tiny video cameras in this forum and I’ve been tempted to buy one as well if only because I’m always buying gadgets. The thing is, from what I've seen, very little of the footage posted on the web from these devices seems to show up number plates unless they are close to and or stationary.

Is it the up load process to youtube affecting the quality and is the raw video any better?

Also I was wondering if anyone has taken their footage to the police as evidence and had a positive response?

Still thinking of buying one mind, can't resist a gadget :roll:
I ache, therefore I am.

Comments

• The video footage I've seen on youtube has the cyclist reading out the number plate for the benefit of the camera.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Youtube does compress the quality of the video a little. Look at one of my creations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNuPdvpmM0E

and the footage before Youtube messed around with it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/338436648/u_turn.avi
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Hey I recognise that street, I can't view the second link though I assume it's the first bit of footage but better?
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Yeah, Park Street! Surprised by the lack of swearing in the direction of ghe car driver though, what a tool.
    Rules are for fools.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Waddlie wrote:
    Yeah, Park Street! Surprised by the lack of swearing in the direction of ghe car driver though, what a tool.

Actually College Green to St Augustines Parade, the blind driver was outside the Hippodrome. Too busy concentrating on getting around the tool and giving certain hand signals to him to swear. I've had to rein in my langauge when the camera is on as it picks up the vocals all too easily.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Depends on the camera. i run a contourHD which gives me 720p video, pretty good quality and the raw image nearly always lets me read the number plates, but i always say as much information about the vehicle as a backup.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    I’ve noticed a lot of interest in tiny video cameras in this forum and I’ve been tempted to buy one as well if only because I’m always buying gadgets. The thing is, from what I've seen, very little of the footage posted on the web from these devices seems to show up number plates unless they are close to and or stationary.

Is it the up load process to youtube affecting the quality and is the raw video any better?

Also I was wondering if anyone has taken their footage to the police as evidence and had a positive response?

Still thinking of buying one mind, can't resist a gadget :roll:

You need to know the following.

Few Police forces will be interested in investigating traffic infringements unless they are very serious, there has been an injury or an offending party has failed to stop after damage was caused.

If they do look at an allegation they will want 'best evidence' which means you hand over the SD card and don't see it again until after a prosecution decision has been made by the CPS and then potentially after a trial. They're cheap so having a spare is useful.

You will be expected to provide a written statement (2hrs ><) and possibly attend court for a trial of at least one1 working day.

If you're knocked off and injured/damaged it'll be worth a report, that much is obvious. If you're verbally/physically abused by a driver and a public order offence (Sect 4 or Sect 5) takes place then again it'll be worth a report.

One final and important thing to remember is that you need to be whiter than white if you make a report. Your entire ride video will be examined by a potential defence brief and if you've ridden in any way outside the Highway Code they will try and tear you apart in the box.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter