MD80 Camera - where to attach

jopari
jopari Posts: 84
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I bought one of these MD80 jobbies (the cheaper non-branded MUVI).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0366771975

It doesn't have a helmet clamp, so was wondering how others with similar cameras have mounted them.

I initially used electricians tape to attach it to the front reflector on the handlebars, but there's a lot of vibration, so would prefer it on my helmet. Any ideas?

Graham
Cannondale R800 - Dry
Kona Honky Tonk - Wet
'96 GT Outpost - Kids on back
Genesis Core 120 - Mud
Raleigh Pro Race - Shop

Comments

• bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    check http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12666507&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

i just put mine on the handlebar were i had space for it, using 2x 200mm zip ties and rubber strip stuff i cant remember the specific type tho
    4290638370_f231dbfb8a_o.jpg
    4290638244_c2a81a931c_o.jpg
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I was going to attach it in a similar way but tapped to the bar with electrical tape. Never thought of using zip ties :wink:
  • The bracket that bobpzero used has a hinge at one end of the camera clip, which can be rotated at least 90 degrees.

I used that and the supplied thick hook/loop tie to attach the bracket from inside my helmet, through one of the larger vents on my Met Testagrossa. For a bit of added security, I used a basic lashing knot using the neck band to give it a "just in case" extra attachment... Worked a treat on Sunday.

I found using the same bracket on the handlebars of my Tricross a bit of a bind with the thin hook/loop ties and the belt type strap (from the real McCoy Veho sports kit). When I got back from the ride, the film was all wavey, as the camera was wobbling quite a bit.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Good idea but two more questions for you MD80 owners.

1. how do you stop the camera pinging off?
    2. how do you keep it dry and still video?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:
    Good idea but two more questions for you MD80 owners.

1. how do you stop the camera pinging off?

A Smart/Electron h/bar bracket with the bracket shown in the first picture unscrewed and simply held in place with a couple of cableties

dscf122.jpg
    itboffin wrote:
    2. how do you keep it dry and still video?

There is a waterproof case available for the Veho Muvi that will fit the MD80 with some work from a file on the internal plastic ribs. I tried to modify the case just enough to fot both cameras and have buggered the clip so need to buy another one :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Mine lives on my head tube. I found it too wobbly on the bars. Used the helmet mount provided with the cam, stuck a thin piece of sponge to the back of it so it dosent scratch the paint, then zip tied it on. The helmet mount allows you to set the angle of the shot, it's a much more stable picture.

Heres some of mine taken in the rain and fog. Sadly, I had the cam angled slightly off to the left which is why it looks like I'm constantly about to plough into a car/hedge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NenXdLrzjq4

You'd probably have the camera pointing up a bit more on your road bikes, the pic of mine is fitted to my MTB, but you get the idea.

DSCF0163.jpg
  • Mine came with a rubbery sleeve with a thin belt hoop at the back. Attached to the sternum strap on a camelback is quite a good spot (depending on your riding posture). The view is straight ahead without twitches from handlebars or helmet. The view of the handlebars and front wheel looks good too!