Commuting over the pennines with laptop in backpack?

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi.

Next time I go on my commute home I'm planning on cycling it, but I only have a backpack, I'd take my laptop and other bits for it like xbox controller, charger and all that, I'd say in the end my bag weighs in about 12kg, not that heavy but with the hills of the pennines would it be a bad idea, as in, would it put a great strain on the back and therefor be unadvisable?

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Sounds unbelievably sweaty. Get some panniers, or better still leave the laptop at work.
  • freehub
    Well I'm not working, I'm going home have one week off college, it's about 75 miles 4500ft ascent to get home, I've done it with a backpack before, but it was loads lighter.
  • will3
    well since it's a one off, why don't you just gaffa tape the laptop to the frame?
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Depends on what rucksack you've got. Mine is a hefty which weighs 2kg on it's own, but once loaded with a laptop and on my back I hardly notice it.

But then again, I'm not doing 75 miles with a "hill"...
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    As long as the pack is secured properly, and balanced on the back, you shouldn't have an issue with strain, but as above... SWEAT! :?

You're also raising the COG so that will affect the handling of the bike - I'd recommend panniers as well.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • freehub
    What's the cheapest I could get away with for panniers? Would they fit a CAAD9 frame?

Thanks.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I think it's your shoulders that would suffer on a long ride.

I think the key would be to make sure that the pack fits snugly to your back and doesn't bounce around. I assume your bag has a waist strap?

Bob
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Over the Pennines with Laptop sounds like a poor man's version of Round Ireland with a Fridge.

The latter would be have been quite impressive if done by bicycle.
  • freehub
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Over the Pennines with Laptop sounds like a poor man's version of Round Ireland with a Fridge.

If someone paid me, gave me a trailer, and a fridge (pref a fridge freezer), I'd happily cycle around ireland whilst towing it.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    freehub wrote:
    What's the cheapest I could get away with for panniers? Would they fit a CAAD9 frame?

You mean, a pannier rack + panniers (bags), or just the bags?

I got a set of cheap pannier bags from ebay for £8 delivered.

They are awful in terms of fitting and padding and water proofing... but are ideal for the weekly shopping and for taking rubbish to the recycling point.

If I wanted a proper pair, I'd buy a set of Altura dryline 56 litre panniers (23L each), which retail around £80 per pair (depending on where you shop).
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    freehub wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

If someone paid me, gave me a trailer, and a fridge (pref a fridge freezer), I'd happily cycle around ireland whilst towing it.
    This has to be worth a whip-round! I'll start collecting in the pub on Friday. Does anyone have an old fridge freezer they'd like to donate?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Does the backpack have an open mesh back to keep the luggage away from your body? If it does it will reduce the sweating (though not eliminate it).

If not, it might be a bit unpleasant. What I would do is ensure that the computer is not directly behind your back in a well filled rucksack - that tends to result in a single pressure point mid back which tends to kill me even on the half hour commute home.

Anyway, just do it :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Any weight in a rucksack kills my back after 30ish miles. It's be worth a go though but I'd want some bail-out options in place.

For a one off I think panniers would be a bit of an expense, especially on a students wages.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Might be worth looking on freecycle to see if anyone's got a rack and /or panniers you could take. Or borrow the panniers and just buy a rack?

Otherwise, I find transporting heavier stuff better over a long distance in a courier bag fitted low, over my hips / waist, so the weight goes through my hips, rather than through my arms (as with a rucksack). It can shift around slightly annoyingly though - panniers better in that respect.
  • if it's a one off and you have that distance in you legs already, go for it. you could always plan a cafe / pub stop halfway to give your bones a rest. just make sure the bag is not going to be loose and swing around or you'll be asking for blisters. 12 kgs is not that heavy. just look at all the fatties carrying way more than that day in day out.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    Post the Laptop home?

Delete anything you wouldn't want your mother to see.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    What scottgeniusltd2005 said. Wouldn't ride regularly with a rucksack but as a one-off it would be OK.
  • will3
    Post the Laptop home?

Delete anything you wouldn't want your mother to see.

might not be much point posting it then
  • freehub
    Posting a laptop would be too much hassle, I'd rather go with no lappy than do that.
  • just man up n do it :D
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Just get on the train with the bike & laptop.
  • just man up n do it :D

Indeed. And really, a bit (or even quite a lot) of sweat will do you no harm whatsoever; you're not the princess who was bothered by a pea so I'm sure you'll be able to grin and bear it! Is it Manchester - Selby you'll be doing?