sharpsand as a new surface on a cycle lane

wyadvd
wyadvd Posts: 590
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
The local authority has just resurfaced one of the cycle paths I (used to!) use on my commute. Unfortunately the contactors doing the job have finished the surface with a sharp sand containing thousands of sharp, needle like objects. My Gatorskins are now almost in shreds.

Anyone have any idea who I should complain to? (not that it will make any difference!)

Its in Kent route 15 between sandwich and Margate. Additionally... are there any other people reading this who follow this route and are now suffering more punctures?

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I'm sure the councils (either Margate or Sandwich) could point you in the right direction.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Also notify sustrans.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    when they did that to the river lea navigation it moved me on to the roads I was getting 4-5 visits a week moved to the roads and I got maybe 1-2 a year
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • wyadvd
    beginning to think im better off on the roads now to be honest. Half way alond one roadside stretch there is a barrier designed to slow the cyclists to a stop at a junction. In total I have counted a total of 15 junctions or stopping places when I use the cycle path (accident oppurtunities in other words) and a total o three when I follow the road. Its roads for me now .. no going back
  • wyadvd
    read all of this . hmmmmm interesting

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/digest/research.html
  • wyadvd
    just starting to tune out the W++£kers hooting and pointing at the path
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,420
    Amazing how the average knuckledragger in a white van with lights barelty functioning feels qualified to give instruction on the use of the roads. I had one the other week who went to the trouble of winding down the window (it was below freezing) to 'suggest' I use the mangy strip of green tarmac. Said cycle path was under about two inches of compated snow/ice at the time :roll:.

I've come to the conclusion that the more we are encouraged to use 'safer' cycle paths/lanes, the more we are treated as not legitimate road users, with the consequent cutting up/verbal abuse. If we all rode on the roads, there wouldn't be a need for cycle paths except maybe along the odd dual carriageway and who likes riding along dual carriageways? (other than testers of course)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • wyadvd
    funnily enouigh About 2 of my ten miles each way now are dual carriege way and thats where I feel the safest (feeling and being are two different things ill give you!)

But 100% in agreement with your sentiments.

Thankfully the ones who hoot have actually seen you!
  • wyadvd
    was cut up by a van on the way to work the other day. Turns out the knuckle draggers in the van were doing some work on the hospital buildings where I work. Nice oppurtunity to eyeball them properly and tell them how it felt for me.....and added to which if your beer gut gives you a heart condition and ive been knocked off my bike ..... you my son wont get your life saving angioplasty today .... trump that!!
  • wyadvd
    any comments from anyone on the safety record of cycle tracks?
  • wyadvd
    the other thing Ive realized is one of road engineering. when cycle paths are not being built with new roads one might assume that road designers might think of cyclists a little when engineering the road layout. If a cycle lane is present then the new road by default becomes a little less safe, as the road designer is assuming cyclists are not present.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    This is something I have noticed here in Exeter as well. my tyres will need replacing within the next couple of weels which frankly I am not chuffed about, this sharpsand has a habit of not only trying to eat my tyres byt also trying to have a go at my legs as it flicks up and hits you.

Also cycle routes in Exeter have a habit of suddenly stopping and throwing you into a busy road!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men