Dreaded pu*****s with the salt grit

vtech1.5
vtech1.5 Posts: 97
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi
Anyone else having trouble with punctures, been riding since summer with conti gp4 seasons no problem with them until now, seems to be stones from the salt/grit that the council threw down on the cyclepaths ( dont really use them but easier on the way home because of traffic,tricky junctions) small sharp pieces of stone stuck in tyre grrrr had three in the last week :oops: none before since putting the contis on . (25x700c)

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Yeah - I had 3 on Sunday. Despite running thumb & forefinger round the tyre a few times and finding nothing, under the halogen kitchen lights last night I found two sharp pointy stones embedded in the tyre, both flush on each side of the tyre but both capable of puncturing. Amazing what you find in good bright light compared to the half light at 20 to 4 on a January afternoon.
  • After running a mtb with tubeless for two years its a baptism of fire regarding p******* I only had one with that bike .goes with the territory I suppose, will try and stick to the road as much as possible tonight :oops:
  • CiB
    In the post-snow / grit conditions, aim for the smoother bits of road where traffic has largely cleared the debris & detritus from the road surface. It's where we should ride anyway.
  • Yep - five visits so far this year all in Richmond Park.

'Find another park then' was the helpful advice from my GF. Wimmin :roll:
  • Yep - me too - 5 in the past 2 days - the leftover rubbish on some roads is pretty shocking (nothing a good rain shower wouldn;t was away though!!)

Now have some Gatorskins on as opposed to the tracing paper Conti Ultra Sports the bike came with, so hopefully that and a more careful choice of route should avoid any more visits from the fairy for a while yet!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I had two thorns and one bit of grit(ie three holes) in the same deflation the other day :roll:
  • Yep - five visits so far this year all in Richmond Park.

heh well she has a point in that there are nice roads not far from there. I've not been to RP for a ride around on the roadie for yonks.
  • CiB
    markshaw77 wrote:
    Yep - me too - 5 in the past 2 days - the leftover rubbish on some roads is pretty shocking (nothing a good rain shower wouldn;t was away though!!)

Now have some Gatorskins on as opposed to the tracing paper Conti Ultra Sports the bike came with, so hopefully that and a more careful choice of route should avoid any more visits from the fairy for a while yet!
    Interesting - mine runs Ultra Sports; rice paper is a better description of their build quality. I've added a carbon layer between tube & tyre to help; looks like a some better tyres are the long term fix.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Yep - five visits so far this year all in Richmond Park.

yeah on sunday there were loads of people having visits from the old PF
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I've had no punctures due to the grit and all that. I must be lucky, I'm runngin rather crappy Krylion tyres that are cut up allot too.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    a lot
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    vtech1.5 wrote:
    ....... seems to be stones from the salt/grit that the council threw down on the cyclepaths.....

Not that cycle paths are ever gritted of course.....

Bob
  • beverick wrote:
    vtech1.5 wrote:
    ....... seems to be stones from the salt/grit that the council threw down on the cyclepaths.....

Not that cycle paths are ever gritted of course.....

Bob

I dunno - the hyde park cycle path has been about 2ft deep in the stuff for the past week - they finally got round to doing it on the day most of the snow thawed and seemed to go overboard, so it is now just sitting there making a daily mess of my bike/a*se :x
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    CiB wrote:
    markshaw77 wrote:
    Yep - me too - 5 in the past 2 days - the leftover rubbish on some roads is pretty shocking (nothing a good rain shower wouldn;t was away though!!)

Interesting - mine runs Ultra Sports; rice paper is a better description of their build quality. I've added a carbon layer between tube & tyre to help; looks like a some better tyres are the long term fix.

Definately. My bike came with ultra spurts. the rear lasted I think 40 miles before it was sliced open by what appeared to be the road and the front was cut to peices after another couple of hundred. Since I swapped to gatorskins I've had one shard of glass puncture and 1 innertube failure (tesco innertube split along the inside by itself) in 5000ish miles.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017