Mudguards for commuting / Rock Shox Dart 2

totalester
totalester Posts: 5
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I've got a '09 Trek 6300 I use for commuting and I'm looking for some mudguards that'll fit the Rock Shox Dart 2 forks on the bike. Rear mudguards aren't a problem as the Trek's got eyelets, but there's nothing on the Rock Shox at all.

I know there's alternatives like Crud Catchers and SKS Shockboard style mudguards, but I'm looking for something that offers a bit more coverage. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

totalester.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Crudcatcher plus a Neoguard would probably do it. I mostly suffer from spray in the face from my own tyres which the Neoguard is supposed to sort out.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Rapid ... 360042909/
    Faster than a tent.......
  • That looks like an interesting option, I'd not looked at doing that.

Thanks Rolf F.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    I'd be tempted to bodge something together to use full guards. For example, get a couple of bits of Meccano, the ones with a 90 degree bend and a single hole either side of the bend. Cut a slot in it one side of the bend, then secure it to the fork using a jubilee clip or zip tie through the slot and attach the mudguard stays to that. There's basically no force on the stays, and if something did get trapped between the wheel and the mudguard, the slotted bit of Meccano should snap instead of locking the wheel.

There's probably a far better option, this was just my first thought...
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Yeah ideally some way of mounting full mudguards would be my preferred option. The p-clips look interesting, though I'm not sure what I'd need at the crown to hold the mudguard on there, as there's no eyelet.

Thanks all,

totalester.
  • I've been looking round a bit and come across these Planet Bike SpeedEZ ATB mudguards that appear to fit any bike.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7016.html

Unfortunately, it looks like no one sells them here, so the only way to get them is from the US.