scott genius ltd 2006 rebuild

scottgeniusltd2005
scottgeniusltd2005 Posts: 575
edited January 2010 in MTB general
hi all,

the decision has been made and my beloved scott is getting desperately needed new bits. whilst ss is fun and simple it is not practical on a winter back up commute bike.

budget is £500 ish. i am staying away from ridiculous xtr if i can help it.

1. need a replacement post. i have busted 2 so i need to try and use a different post and shims, anyone know where to get shims?
2. would like to go for gripshift, any reason not too?
3. sram rear mech?
4. e type front mech. is xtr the only option?
5. chainset is currently xtr jeff jones stylee. have the option of 2 chainrings. but i really want to move away from the stupid expense of replacement parts (original reason for ss). i'm thinking slx or deore.
6. new bars. the carbon ones are ok for a few hours but after that i need more hand positions. i am thinking either a new alloy bar and bar ends or jeff jones style ones. any other options?

need to have a few linkage bolts replaced but these will be done under warranty i hope.
Cotic Soul rider.

Comments

• It would be a travesty to put SLX or deore on a Genius Ltd, fairly pointless as well. It has to be XT at least for the chainset. If you shop around, you can probably get them reasonably cheap. I'm considering a duo setup as well for my Spark. Maybe 26-36.

Were the posts you broke 34.9mm? Or were they smaller with shims?

Why can't you put barends on your current bars? Even if the bars aren't designed for it, there are inserts available that add the strength needed. This would be cheaper than new bars.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I dont get it?
    i have a MC20 2008, why would you want to go away from XT/XTR?
    Grip shifters???? have yyou ever used them?
    i know some of the weight weenie boys like the grip shifts but thats on weirdo hard tails.
    i love the position of my carbon risers, why not try some of those ergo bar ends or something?
    you have one of the best bikes on the market, why change it?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • thanks for the reply.

the bars are cracked on the ends from an a bar end attempt years ago. is it possible to cut off the inch maybe inch and half from the ends? would the inserts be strong enough to support me pulling hard on the bar ends?

the seat post is a scott oem. they break at the rail clamp fingers. one goes and a few month after the other goes. pretty shit really. they last over a year so i can't return.

i'm not too bothered about the secondary outlay, it's just the continuous price increase in xtr stuff. xtr is just different enough in bcd's to be specials. even cheap replacements are twice the price of normal cheapos. the first few replacements were about £120. last time it cost £300 for a set of chain rings and cassette. they lasted approx 1500 miles over a winter on the trails and were trashed. so i went ss. which is great and simple. but during the last month i have needed to use it for commuting. unfortunately it was pretty useless for road work. either spinning out or mashing up 20%ers

i prefer to go for twist grips. i have had them before and they were really reliable and simple, no good for shimano tho. the original xtr triggers were both cracked on the back, i didn't know till i unbollted to remove and the back clamp was cracked on both.

i have posted about the state of the trails round my way. they are trashed by mini quads that i have seen. so every time i go out on the trails it's up to the axles in wet gritty gloop and gritty water. i may also go for some snow cat rims to try and get some 3 inch tyres on.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • VWSurfbum wrote:
    I dont get it?
    i have a MC20 2008, why would you want to go away from XT/XTR?
    Grip shifters???? have yyou ever used them?
    i know some of the weight weenie boys like the grip shifts but thats on weirdo hard tails.
    i love the position of my carbon risers, why not try some of those ergo bar ends or something?
    you have one of the best bikes on the market, why change it?

coz it is shagged out. i used it nearly every single day until july this year when i got my brommie. i never went out for less than 2hrs. i ride it over some of the roughest xc around (mtl). i have had it over 4 years. i ride in any weather day and prefer night rides. i'm a heavy bugger. the bike has been brilliant and i am surprised such a lightweight bike has lasted so long.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    so what do you still have?

Why not get steel rings, a decent chain etc. xt shifters will work really well.
  • i have a 2 ring xtr crank set. a xtr cassette left over. no shifters. no front / rear mech (must have thrown them out by mistake during a clean out) both shifters were buggered. that's about it on the transmission side. i could go 2x9 but i would still be stuck with price problem. easier to down grade now and save in the long run. i have gone thru 2 to 3 middle and granny rings, cassettes and approx 6 chains per year. so it's not difficult to see why i need a cheaper alternative. i'm not a weight weeny (edit: anymore)
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    on the seatpost thing, i run a joplin on mine, the scott one was light but i found it never stayed in place, didnt matter how tight the clamp was?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWSurfbum wrote:
    on the seatpost thing, i run a joplin on mine, the scott one was light but i found it never stayed in place, didnt matter how tight the clamp was?

yeah i have had this problem as well. the last post has welded itself in place and will be a bugger to get out. on the first post i snapped 2 hope clamps they were so tight. i have been told that carbon paste works well. will try this with the new post.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • The carbon grip works very well. It increases friction for clamping, but keeps the join lubricated for separating when the time comes. I have a Ritchey WCS carbon post which is very good. A bit expensive perhaps for your build.

You can cut carbon bars down. Do it with a fine toothed hacksaw and don't breathe in the dust.