Oxford to Paris route advice

cycle4sobell.org
cycle4sobell.org Posts: 11
edited January 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm helping to organise a chaity bike ride from Oxford to Paris this April. We've had a few discussions about possible routes, but I'm hoping there might be some bikeradar members out there who might have done a similar trip as it is becoming quite a headache deciding on which might be a good route.. We are breaking it down into 3 days - the first Oxford to Portsmouth, then overnight ferry to Le Harve. Second day is to a town called Veron (about 55 miles NW of Paris). Final day is (hopefully) a triumphant ride into Paris via the Champs Elysee for a Tour de France finish! 12 of us riding, and one support vehicle. We are all 'recreational' riders but come April fitness levels should be good if we all keep to the training regime!

Any tips would be very much appreciated - we want to stick to minor roads but appreciate that it might be necessary to ride some of the way on A roads, but really want to keep that to a miniumum. Would also like to bypass major towns like Newbury if possible.

Is there any easy option for getting over the South Downs (short of travelling down the hard shoulder of the M3)?

www.cycle4sobell.org.uk

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Crossings of the Berkshire Downs, Kennet and Avon are your limiters on direction. When our CTC group went to Portsmouth we staged through Winchester as we were all panniered up. I would go to Abingdon, Wantage over the Downs on B4494 skirt the back of Newbury (we left early to get past here) then Overton, North Waltham (Under M3) Axford, New Arlesford, Cheriton, Meonstoke, Denmead, Purbrook heath then pick up the 2177. There are cycle routes to take you to the ferry we got them from the tourist offices. This is just a rough draft, but crossing the downs east or west of Wantage give you more climbs and Newbury is at a natural break.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed