Roads

turns3eh
turns3eh Posts: 31
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hi Just bought a Specialized FSR XC Comp, having been out on it, i now realize i'm not as fit as i fought i was i have been out on the roads to try and get a bit fitter. The question is can i get road wheels for my bike ( and if so where from) or do i have to inflate my tyres to the max. It's been murder on the road with mtb tyres. Cheers D
To Infinity and Beyond

Comments

• Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Probably best just getting commuting tyres for your bike. Road wheels are generally bigger that the standard 26" wheels on your MTB so wouldn't fit properly...

Some of these would probably reduce your rolling resistance considerably and improve your speed across the roads... :D

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35796
    It's been a while...
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just outa interest will most of your riding be on roads?
  • no i will be off road when fit enough Cheers D
    To Infinity and Beyond
  • I use michelin contry rock on my commuter, cheap as chips and they work. I took 5 minutes off a 20 minute bike journey by changing from knobblies to slicks 8)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=8547

After a week of commuting on knobblies in the snow, I've put my slicks back on and it feels like I'm flying. Be warned though it may lead to a bad case of "upgraditis" I'm now wanting a road bike to add to the stable!
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Why not try and build up the fitness off road starting with shorter loops and building up.

You'll get there eventually and it'll probably be more fun than an mtb on-road.

Alternatively a set of slicks for your current wheels could be useful if the bike will see regular road use but if it'll be an off-road bike for the rest of it's life I'd just build up the fitness off-road.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH the cost of new wheels and tyres disc and a cassette you may as well buy a cheap rigid bike for this use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I'e been using 2.1 Schwalbe Nobby Nics for everything recently, and they've been brilliant. Held up (most of the time!) through snow, ice and mud..

But, depending on budget, you could look at Schwalbes faster offerings, the Racing Ralph, or, the Furious Fred (although, the FF's are pretty prone to the P***ture Fairy paying visits) :?

That way, if you're riding along the road, and fancy a little off road hack, you'll still be able to, and they should be pretty good on the roads too (although, they do wear quite quickly).

And, just a thought, have you locked out your rear shock/forks? Sounds obvious, but my brother forgot to do that on his FSR Xc for the roads, now he flys (think he's using Spesh 'The Captain' Tyres, 2.1)
  • Cheers for all your comments 1 more thing will i have to change the inners ? Cheers D
    To Infinity and Beyond
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    if you are planning on mixing offroad with road riding, I find that the Conti Explorers have very low rolling resistance when pumped right up.

If you will be changing the tyres depending on the use I would go for a full slick personally, I run 26x1.5 Vittoria Randonneur on my commute and they are very quick and responsive on tarmac.

Just don't do what I did and hop the bike sideways onto a soggy bit of grass while using the slicks :wink: . I had a chunk missing from my shin, bruised ribs and my shoulder socket still clicks loudly when I lift it at certain angles (was end of october) :shock:

I use the same Asda inners fo all of my bikes/tyres.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    turns3eh wrote:
    no i will be off road when fit enough Cheers D

Any reason why you want to build up fitness on-road first?

Seems a waste of a good bike to have it trundling along roads when it could be bouncing off mountains.

Where are you based? Most places have some easier trails where you can build up fitness, and more importantly, some off-road skills in the process.

I had crap fitness when I started but it's so much more fun riding off-road. And don't worry about anybody else.... there's going to be someone fitter than you, however good you get ;-).

As to original post... get a cheap ratter for knocking around the roads. Changing wheels/tyres on a weekly basis for 0n/0ffroad will be a royal pain. Plus be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand bike than to get new wheels/tyres...

EDIT.... riding on knobblies onroad will get you fitter much quicker, if that's your aim.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • i'm based in the chilterns about 10 miles from Aston hill
    To Infinity and Beyond
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    Whats a road?! :D
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    mac man wrote:
    EDIT.... riding on knobblies onroad will get you fitter much quicker, if that's your aim.

Absolutely. Might be harder but if fitness is your aim that's the point, no? There's no point training and becoming ace at riding light tyres on smooth roads if you then don't have the power to crank over heavy MTB tyres when you get offroad.

Sure it would be nice to avoid roads altogether but not many of us are blessed with a convenient trail right outside our door. On-road training means you can do it at the same time as doing something more dull like commuting to work etc, without having to drive anywhere...