Pre commute breakfast

mattrsa
mattrsa Posts: 143
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Guys

Tomorrow I am going to attempt to commute to work for the first time since I moved alto futher away.

The ride is approx 15 miles. I have read different post on here saying what and when you should eat.

So should I have some small like a banana and then have some more food once I get to work. Or will I be ok eating my breakfast before setting off?

Thanks in advance
Commuter - Trek 1.2
Fun - Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Personally I would probably have nothing till at work. It's not a huge distance.
    Might bring a water bottle though, maybe a little diluting orange in it.

Have normal breakfast at work.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I used to eat my breakfast before a 20 mile commute. Then tried without. Didn;t make any difference I was still hungry by the time I got to work either way :oops:

I'd go without, take some diluted orange juice and a banana or something with you just incase, then have brekkie at work.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mattrsa
    ok cheers guys,

will give it a go tomorrow and see how I get on altho I do tend to be very hungry when I wake up.
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Bowl of porridge + coffee before setting off. That should do it.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    mattrsa wrote:
    ok cheers guys,

will give it a go tomorrow and see how I get on altho I do tend to be very hungry when I wake up.

Eat then. Go with what yuor body tells you. Don't eat too much though, perhaps just a couple of bits of fruit or something then have a larger brekky when you arrive.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,420
    I almost can't function in the morning without breakfast (3 weetabix with a handfull of sultanas to 'jazz' it up a bit, 2-3 slices of wholemeal toast with loads of honey and a glass of orange juice (not on the toast)), and I'm still Hank Marvin by 12.30. So definitely what your used to - if you want to change do it a bit at a time I reckon.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mattrsa
    might have a blast at having some banana and some juice before I set off and then have some toast if I actually make it to work :?
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    mattrsa wrote:
    Hi Guys

Tomorrow I am going to attempt to commute to work for the first time since I moved alto futher away.

The ride is approx 15 miles. I have read different post on here saying what and when you should eat.

So should I have some small like a banana and then have some more food once I get to work. Or will I be ok eating my breakfast before setting off? ...

It's very personal, and depends on how long between eating & leaving.

You want to strike a balance between exertion with no fuel and trying to exercise & digest at the same time. If you can eat something light while you're getting dressed & ready to leave, that might help to keep you going... depends on you, really.

Some folk will find they will always struggle with this- if they eat before they leave then they feel bloated and lackadaisical but if they don't they feel bonkish and lacking energy.
    Others can eat whenever they like without problems, as long as they don't overdo it.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Headhuunter
    mattrsa wrote:
    might have a blast at having some banana and some juice before I set off and then have some toast if I actually make it to work :?

That sounds good. If you eat too much, you risk chucking it all up by the side of the road, :shock: but a couple of bits of fruit and juice would be fine
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Cereal bar and maybe a banana then take half a bottle of water on the ride. Usual push for 20+mph most the way, feel low on energy without it.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I used to go out before eating but always found it a struggle compared to the few times when I ate something first. So now I have a bowl of cereal before I go out.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I find eating or not makes little difference, eaiser with a bowl of Alpen, but the biggy for me is having a pint of water before leaving.

Without that I really struggle, with: it's much easier.

I guess a pint of fruit juice would give you the sugar hit for the low energy start and the fluid intake required.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter
    I don't eat anything before a ride of up to 20 miles. Beyond that I eat a couple of bits of toast or something and take a banana or 2 with me, beyond about 40 miles I take a couple of bottles of sports energy drink and perhaps a couple of bananas or more, depending on the pace and the distance
  • mattrsa
    well as habit I have started to drink a pint of water every morning when I wake up.

think I will make up some lucozade for the ride too incase I feel the need for a sugar burst.

Getting pretty nervous about the ride. My old commute was only 6 miles, this is about 16.

its not the distance I'm worried about really, more getting to work on time and the amount of traffic
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • Headhuunter
    mattrsa wrote:
    well as habit I have started to drink a pint of water every morning when I wake up.

think I will make up some lucozade for the ride too incase I feel the need for a sugar burst.

Getting pretty nervous about the ride. My old commute was only 6 miles, this is about 16.

its not the distance I'm worried about really, more getting to work on time and the amount of traffic

Traffic is like a pack of lions, if you show fear, it'll take you down abnd have you for breakfast. If you stare it in the face and don't flinch it'll move round you with respect....
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    edited January 2010
    I have a big breakfast, a huge bowl of Crunchy Nut (I reckon I have 100g at least), orange juice and some biscuits.

As soon as I get there I am starving again. I guess that's the beauty of commuting in, the metabolism you get is amazing.

At work I will have a ham sandwich, loads of water, 5 bananas, loads of clementines, and 5-6 cereal bars. Starving by the time I get home and then I have the biggest bowl of pasta and rice with meat.

Girlfriend is a runner and we both eat a lot of crap and we still stay thin.
  • Personally I have a bowl of porridge before I set off rather than waiting to get to work, that way if the sh*t hits the fan or I'm forced to detour I know I don't have to worry about getting hungry or hitting the wall.

Horses for courses I suppose though
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I don't eat breakfast. (Do have a cup of coffee).

Do about the same mileage as you.
    I dislike eating just before riding, and well, I like sleeping too much to make the effort to get up in time to eat breakfast and let it settle.

I don't find I have any problems, although I do make sure I eat properly the night before.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    As has been said it's all very personal. For a ride of only 15 miles or so I wouldn't bother with any food (before or during) or water (especially this time of year when it's cooler). I might have a couple of apples for breakfast once in work though.
    Still breathing.....
  • CiB
    Back to basics. 16 miles isn't a big distance. You're right to have a bit of trepidation about it at this stage but it pretty soon becomes just the way you get to work.

Not eating breakfast before leaving means that you'll have gone from dinner (or tea time, evening snack - whatever you call it) to early morning with no fuel intake. That's potentially 12 hours without eating, followed by a decent bike ride. Each to their own but you'll want to keep your blood sugar levels ok and not be faced with hitting the wall if it's a colder or windier day.

Not eating isn't the best approach. If you can't face a proper breakfast try porridge, consistency to suit. It's the ideal riding food, esp with a bit of milk. You can virtually drink it, and it's a slow release food. Tastes great too.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I always have something before I go out in the morning. But what really helps is a decent dinner the night before.
  • mattrsa
    Thanks for the replies guys

Just been out to the Local Bike shop to buy a new computer as my other bike when I crashed ages ago. Should help me to keep and eye on my average speed and make sure I get to work on time.

Scouted the route on sunday and seemed ok, altho did get lost a few times, hope that does not happen again.

Will update you tomorrow on how the ride went.
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • mattrsa
    Just a quick update

Cycled to work today for the first time

ate a banana and had a glass of water before I set off

did 18.3 in 1hour 16min. Not too bad for a first attempt as did stop a few times to check where I was going.

Not actually that hungry but going to reward myself with a bacon butty I think
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • CiB
    Good effort, esp for your first ride. Add your name to the SC Stats pages and engage in the competition. It's a handy additional incentive to keep at it when the it flags a bit on cold wintry mornings.
  • mattrsa
    thanks

yeah have looked the SC stats page, might add my name and see how I get on.

:D
    Commuter - Trek 1.2