Chain Length

evo3ben
evo3ben Posts: 552
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I have just changed my large front cog for a bash guard. Can i reduce the length of the chain? and if so by how much? My middle cog has 32 teeth with a 9 speed cassette on the rear.

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Remeasure it, chain off wrapped around largest sprocket/cassette bypassing the mechs, add two links.
  • As well as the big sproket/big ring +2, remember to add a bit to account for changes during suspension travel if it is a full suss bike. Unless the pivot is concentric with the bottom bracket the chain length required will change as the shock compresses.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pasteybelly almost right, that is only if there is no aditional pivots between the BB and the rear axle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Its strange because ive never known the correct way to calculate chain length! Always just go as short as possible :? I work at an engineers but they dont teach cycles lol

My goal this week is to work this lil problem out
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    on this topic of shortening chain length after removing front rings , what effect does the
    size of the rear mech ( short / med / long cage ) have , if any , in relation to chain length ?

for example , after recently changing to a single chainring upfront (middle) i eventually want to fit a short derailleur and shorten chain.
    is this the correct course of action?
    is chain length still measured the same way ?
    thanks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    biff55 wrote:
    on this topic of shortening chain length after removing front rings , what effect does the
    size of the rear mech ( short / med / long cage ) have , if any , in relation to chain length ?

for example , after recently changing to a single chainring upfront (middle) i eventually want to fit a short derailleur and shorten chain.
    is this the correct course of action?
    is chain length still measured the same way ?
    thanks.

smaller ring yes a shorter chain.
    change of mech cage size same length chain.

see the FAQs. it is purly down to the range of gears covered.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hey I've learned something new thanks.Amazing after all these years I didn't know this