Bike Hire in Cape Town (South Africa)

scribbett
scribbett Posts: 2
edited January 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm travelling to Cape Town in February 2010 and am considering hiring a good road bike for two weeks to make the most of the spectacular scenery. Can anybody recommend a) good bike hire companies, and b) good routes in and around the Cape Town area.

Any other advice regarding how to deal with the heat is also appreciated.

Comments

• nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    I was down SA about 5 years ago, I did a MTB tour with -
    www.downhilladventures.co.za
    Although they're primarily MTB oriented, it might be a good place to start, I took them to be pretty keen cyclists.
    Also I actually bought a bike when I was down there, on the guarantee that the bike shop would buy it back when I moved on.
    This was up in Plettenberg Bay, thought I was gonna be there much longer than I actually was, only stayed for 3 weeks. But the guy in shop gave me almost all my money back, so I think I paid about 100 quid for the 3 weeks "rental".
    As for routes you have to go down towards Simonstown, and on the "road where they shoot car commercials", absolutely spectacular!
    Re: the heat, finish your rides before midday,an keep the liquids going in.
    U lucky sod!
    Finished
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    If you stay at hostels some of them just may have birehire with bikes you can use for just pottering about or probablay have connections with a local shop..Found this so at many a hostel.. Check out Hostelworld or Hostelbookers etc
    Heres an example
    http://www.hostelworld.com/availability ... -Town/5939
    jc
  • I am going there myself next week and am hiring from the following:

http://www.capetowncyclehire.co.za/

They seem to provide a better service than Downhill, and are supplying me with a Giant TCR for R225/day. They will drop off the bike where I am staying, put my own pedals on, and provide advice as to routes, and collect it at the end of the hire period.

(Having now returned from my trip, I can heartily recommend this company, which provided a thoroughly friendly and efficient service.)