Got to learn to bunny hop…

SkidMerckx
SkidMerckx Posts: 72
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Guy’s newbie that’s been lurking for 18 months or so and thought it was about time I said hi :)

Today was my first commute of the year (now the snow has gone) and wow! There sure are some spectacular new pot holes in the roads on my route to work. My bunny hopping skills are not good (I can never get the back wheel up), any tips?

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Clipless pedals
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I can get air on my incredibly heavy full susser but can you bunny hop a roadie? not much luck so far, to scared my tyres will go POP! :lol:
  • Hi Kelsen, wouldn’t ride without anything else, still cant get the rear wheel up though!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I bunny hop both my bikes. My nice bike, less so...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SkidMerckx wrote:
    Hi Kelsen, wouldn’t ride without anything else, still cant get the rear wheel up though!

Try while stationary at home on grass, literally just hop the bike upwards by bringing your knees up - can leave handlebars on ground till get used to the idea. Just a matter of practice.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    iPete wrote:
    I can get air on my incredibly heavy full susser but can you bunny hop a roadie? not much luck so far, to scared my tyres will go POP! :lol:

Yep, sure can - not sure it's the best thing for a cf fork, but it's an alu steerer, and I've hit some pretty bad potholes at speed, so guess in real terms the impact of the landing are probably in the same margin of error as hitting a hole.

I normally find my self jumping onto, then off speed bumps to keep the speed up - so to quickly in succession.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Mis-spent yoof on a BMX taught me the good ol' bunny hop skills.....

I can still get over small walls on my MTB!

Kinda fun learning to bunny hop fixed, but it is achievable!

Basically:

get some speed up!

Get your weight forward

wrench back on the bars and lift the front end

balance your weight centrally and take the weight off your pedals.

back end should lift a treat.

fall off and try again!

:-)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First, on grass lol, try and simply lift the rear wheel. Forget the front for now - go through the motions of getting the rear into the air. Put your toes down, weight forward and 'claw' back and up with your feet.

As this becomes more natural, try lifting the front end first, then the rear. Be careful of how your weight changes.

Practice, practice, practice.